New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Indigio with No OS, How do I install OSX?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

ZooyorQ

I purchased an Indigio off Ebay that had no OS on it, but it does have a DVD, so I went out and got OSX, I'm excited to start working with it. I've never used it. I am however a Network Engineer so I'm fairly compitent with Windows and Linux based computers. However, when I place the OS X cd in the tray and Reboot, It waits a bit, spits it out and shows the flashing "No OS!" Icon again.

What am I doing wrong.. Is the OSX Cd not bootable?
QUOTE Thanks
supremeoverlord

you need to hold the C key down when you boot up off the CD
QUOTE Thanks
ZooyorQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeoverlord
you need to hold the C key down when you boot up off the CD
Also, is there a way to tell that you have the DVD Rom? I just want to make sure I got what i paid for. Thanks!

I'll try the holding C.
QUOTE Thanks
mynameis

mynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nice

How much did that cost you?
QUOTE Thanks
trpnmonkey41

trpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano

Does your iMac have a slot loading drive? If not then there it is not a CD-ROM (unless the previous owner upgraded). What are the specs that he said it was?

Don't forget to use the new User Reputation System
QUOTE Thanks
ZooyorQ

I paid 125$ (without keyboard or mouse or anything).. Here's the exact stats:

COLOR : INDIGO

SUPER CLEAN LIKE NEW

Manufacturer Apple
Model IMAC
Processor 400Mhz
Screen Size 15
Hard Drive 10.2Gb
Memory 128MB
DVD DVD 6X
Modem 56k
Network Card 10/100 NIC
Audio Soundblaster 16
Video 8MB
Operating System No Operating System
QUOTE Thanks
ZooyorQ

Btw, its a slot loading drive in the front of the Mac.
QUOTE Thanks
trpnmonkey41

trpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano

None of the iMacs came with a 6x DVD-ROM. The highest that the iMac came with was a 4x which is what i believe you have. Your model was from the Summer of 2000

Don't forget to use the new User Reputation System
QUOTE Thanks
ZooyorQ

Hrm, I just hope its atleast a DVD-ROM so I can load OSX.
QUOTE Thanks
ZooyorQ

Holding down C isn't doing anything, I also tried Open Apple C. It spits the cd out after a minute or so. Both CD's and DVD's, spits em out after a minute. Think the CD/DVD Rom is broken?
QUOTE Thanks
ZooyorQ

Screw it, I'm just going to go buy a iMac Mini at Microcenter. Be right back, this is to difficult to trouble shoot. A flashing ? means jack to me and i have no clue if the keyboards broken, the cdroms broken, is it a a cdrom? or a dvdrom? what a pain. If I have problems with this new iMac i'll let ya know, but I'm fairly certain i wont. Thanks for your responses.. Guess thats what i get for trying to save a few bucks.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Will my laptop read a DVD+R disc? | View on Top »