New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Updates?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Greg55

Greg55 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 21.5" iMac | iPod nano | iPhone 4

I have had my new iMac only about 10 days, still learning I have always used PC and after just playing around with this thing if I can master it I will never return to a PC! My question is a small window came up on my screen and said that they were updates ready for my computer, (I always hated that with the PC) of course it shows what they are so should I download them and will they automatically install themselves? Thanks in advance.
QUOTE Thanks
6string

6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)

In general, the  software updates are either version of OS, application, firmware and security updates.
Their is no need for concern when installing them, and they will install themselves in the right locations.
They don't come up anywhere near as often as Windows' annoying updates.

When you get a new Mac, it is advised to keep clicking software update over and over until there is nothing left.
After that, you can set  software updater to check for updates manually, daily, weekly, etc.

I have had mine set for many years to do so daily, and have never had a problem with it.
QUOTE Thanks
MacInWin

MacInWin has much to be proud ofMacInWin has much to be proud ofMacInWin has much to be proud ofMacInWin has much to be proud ofMacInWin has much to be proud ofMacInWin has much to be proud ofMacInWin has much to be proud ofMacInWin has much to be proud ofMacInWin has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 2011 MBP, 2008 iMac, iPhone 5S, iPad mini, 13" MBP and MacMini

To check for Apple updates, click on the apple icon in the upper left, then choose "Software update..." A progress box will open and you will see it checking for any updates from Apple. Once it is done, it will tell you whether or not there are updates and you can then decide what to do about them. I usually just go ahead and install, but it's up to you.

When the window message you are seeing opens what updates does it list?
QUOTE Thanks
MacInWin

MacInWin has much to be proud ofMacInWin has much to be proud ofMacInWin has much to be proud ofMacInWin has much to be proud ofMacInWin has much to be proud ofMacInWin has much to be proud ofMacInWin has much to be proud ofMacInWin has much to be proud ofMacInWin has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 2011 MBP, 2008 iMac, iPhone 5S, iPad mini, 13" MBP and MacMini

Dang, 6string beat me to it!
QUOTE Thanks
Greg55

Thanks guys I know I will have a lot of questions, hopefully everyone will have patience with me, I'm almost 56 now and this is my new hobby, just got out of rc airplanes, just could not do that anymore. Thanks again.
QUOTE Thanks
Greg55

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6string View Post
In general, the  software updates are either version of OS, application, firmware and security updates.
Their is no need for concern when installing them, and they will install themselves in the right locations.
They don't come up anywhere near as often as Windows' annoying updates.

When you get a new Mac, it is advised to keep clicking software update over and over until there is nothing left.
After that, you can set  software updater to check for updates manually, daily, weekly, etc.

I have had mine set for many years to do so daily, and have never had a problem with it.
Where do I set the software updater at, where is it located?
QUOTE Thanks
6string

6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)

>system preferences>software update>scheduled check

QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: Mid-2012 MBP (16GB, 1TB HD), BenQ second monitor, iPhone 5s 32GB, iPad Air 2 64GB

As 6String pointed out, you can chance the update frequency to less often, but be aware that the less often you check, the more likely there will be an update!

Having said that, Apple doesn't normally do a lot of updates, I think I see an AVERAGE of one a month -- and this is not generally a system or security update, it's an update to one of my pre-installed Apple Apps (like iTunes) which generally brings new features.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« How do you display keystrokes? | Can I transfer files created in Windows from Sandisk flash drive to Mac without harm? »