New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

New iMac & Apple TV - iTunes Issue w/ 2 users

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

ejs989

ejs989 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 3.06 GHz Intel Core i3, 4GB 1333MHz DDR3, Snow Loepard, iMac 21.5"

Bought my iMac about 1.5 months ago. Bought Apple TV about 2 weeks ago. I understand Apple TV will let you only stream from 1 library on the computer, however, I have 2 libraries I would like to add. I have come to the conclusion that I am going to have to combine the libraries, which are from 2 different user names. Tell me if the is possible and the most efficient way:

If I put my girlfriends (she has her own mac username) library in her Drop Box and restore her iTunes to pull music to populate her library from her Drop Box folder, can I also add her drop box folder to my iTunes library under my mac username?

This seems fairly simple, but I don't want do to it and then have to switch things back if it won't work.

Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
schweb

schweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2

You can stream multiple libraries as long as they are all on the same homesharing account.

iTunes: Understanding Home Sharing

schweb | community leader
flickr facebook twitter tumblr google+ about.me

Mac-Forums: On Twitter | On Facebook | On Flickr

QUOTE Thanks
ejs989

They are under 2 different usernames. Let's uncomplicate things. Can I share her music collection with username via dropbox on her username? Can I add her dropbox folder to my itunes?
QUOTE Thanks
schweb

schweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond repute

Usernames don't matter. You can share multiple AppleIDs under the same homesharing name. That's how we have ours done here. It's why homeshare exists.

Far less complicated than your Dropbox approach.

Give it a try before thinking it won't work.

QUOTE Thanks
ejs989

This won't work. Her iTunes account is under her email address. My iTunes account is under my email address. ATV will only allow 1 library to be synced with the device. Unless I am not understanding this. Also, both home sharing is turned on.
QUOTE Thanks
schweb

Sign into homesharing using the same AppleID, that doesn't impact the AppleID on your library.

QUOTE Thanks
ejs989

Awesome, So simple. Got it! Thx.
QUOTE Thanks
schweb

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejs989 View Post
Awesome, So simple. Got it! Thx.
No problem. It is a little confusing and honestly Apple needs to rethink the way they present the HomeShare sign-in since people can confuse joining a home share with switching AppleIDs.

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Coming from Ubuntu Chrome | Need help on Mac »