New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Almost bought an iMac today....

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Johnlouis

Johnlouis is on a distinguished road

Hi all! My 4th PC in 5 years is on the brink of death, so I thought "enough is enough, I'm getting an iMac". So I went to my nearest Apple store, credit card in hand, and only 1 question in mind: will I be able to sign into my iTunes account on the new iMac and find all the iPhone apps I've purchased still there. The answer is the reason I'm on this site. I was told under no uncertain terms that if I plugged my iPhone into the new iMac my iPhone would restore to factory settings and I would lose EVERYTHING! Photos, contacts, apps - the lot, and would have to repurchase all the apps. OR I could pay 80 ($130 for those of you in the US) for One to One membership and they would transfer all the iTunes content to the new iMac. 80 for the transfer is bad enough, but it's a 100 mile round trip to my nearest Apple store, and to have to drag my PC there, and then drag the PC and the iMac back to the car ( a good 15 min walk) is no go as far as I'm concerned. I've never had to transfer purchases to my other PCs before, was the guy giving me wrong information?
QUOTE Thanks
MYmacROX

MYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2008 15" MBP ML, 2012 21.5" iMac ML

You'll probably be better off just copying the entire iTunes folder/library over anyways since I'm assuming you'll want to keep all your music too.
Take a look at this article. Move an iTunes library from a Windows PC to a Mac | Music and Audio | Playlist | Macworld

16GB iPhone 5, 64GB Wi-Fi only iPad 1st Gen.

Reminder: Please include your Mac's specs. This will make it much easier for the other members to assist you.
QUOTE Thanks
Johnlouis

Thanks for the quick reply! I'm not bothered about the music, I still buy CDs and then transfer them in to iTunes (I'm just an old fashioned guy!), my only concern is my iPhone data. As I said, with my pc swaps I definitely didn't have to transfer data, just downloaded iTunes, signed in using my ID & password and as far as I can remember everything was there for me. If I backed iTunes up from my PC to a DVD would it also back up the iPhone apps?
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

Your iPhone data is contained in the iTunes library, including the Apps. Follow what the link says.

For the record, if you do lose or accidentally delete an app you only have to go back to the App store on iTunes and re-download it. You don't have to purchase it again, it's free. Apps are not like music. That is assuming the UK store is the same as the US store in this regard.

QUOTE Thanks
Johnlouis

Many thanks baggss. Just disappointed I didnt get the iMac there and then. The guy in the Apple Store really put me off! But there's no way I'm getting another PC.
QUOTE Thanks
Phacade

Phacade will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 21" 3.6GHz Core i5 iMac, 12GB Crucial RAM

That was me a few weeks back. I'd had a lot of PCs, built several, and was generally disappointed in them. So I switched. Yeah me! Bit of a learning curve but I'm quite happy.

21" 3.6GHz Core i5 iMac "Sputnik" ■ 12GB Crucial RAM ■ Monsoon flat-panel speakers ■ HP P1006 LaserJet printer ■ Full Keyboard ■ Canoscan 9000F flatbed scanner ■ ...and then of course me (being a narcissist, I consider this to be the most important mod).
QUOTE Thanks
Johnlouis

So you're finding the switch ok Phacade? I must admit I've been a little apprehensive about how different a mac is from a pc, but there again, I've never used a mac so it's just fear of the unknown!
QUOTE Thanks
Phacade

Phacade will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 21" 3.6GHz Core i5 iMac, 12GB Crucial RAM

I find it incredibly relaxing. True I did (almost immediately) switch on my right-mouse key, but its a very refined method of computing. I'm loving the silence of it....and it just works. Its great. You won't be disappointed.

You, my friend, need a Mac.

21" 3.6GHz Core i5 iMac "Sputnik" ■ 12GB Crucial RAM ■ Monsoon flat-panel speakers ■ HP P1006 LaserJet printer ■ Full Keyboard ■ Canoscan 9000F flatbed scanner ■ ...and then of course me (being a narcissist, I consider this to be the most important mod).
QUOTE Thanks
ryebread761

ryebread761 is on a distinguished road

You won't loose everything. It should ask you if you want to sync it with this different library or something similar and if you say no you won't loose anything. No point in paying for them to do work you can do yourself. Just hook up Home Sharing and import your library to your new iMac.
QUOTE Thanks
Johnlouis

Cheers ryebread! I'll give that a try- when I finally get one!
QUOTE Thanks
Fulgurite

Fulgurite is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iPhone 3GS, MBPro 13'' & MBAir 13''

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Need help on Mac | 2 different Macbook Air specs...same price »