New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Slow parallel 6

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

smol3404

smol3404 is on a distinguished road

Hey folks, so here's the issue im having, i installed parallels 6 and windows 7 64 bit, it installed without any problems, but when i run windows 7 like a pc, my mac bogs down really bad, if i open any application it takes a long time to start, and even after i quit windows 7 my mac is really slow, i have to restart it, did i do something wrong? any help or advice would be greatly appreciate it.
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

How much RAM do you have and how much of it did you allocate to the virtual machine? You should try to have at least 2GB of RAM for the VM.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
smol3404

my mac has 4gig, i allocated 2 gigs for the VM, im running 2.7ghz I7 processor
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

Also - make sure you're really quitting Parallels not just shutting down the Windows 7 VM. Lots of new users make that mistake. The VM will not quit on its own, you have to shut it down after quitting Windows 7. I think that may be part of your problem.
QUOTE Thanks
smol3404

I don't see parallels open anywhere, i use the quit command to really quit it, unless i'm missing something else, even try the force quit and i don't see parallels there, another thing that is happening and i don't know if is normal or not, my mac gets really hot when i run windows 7.
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute

It gets hot because you have to use a lot of system resources. Remember, you're running two operating systems at the same time. Just remember to run your MBP on a hard, clean surface to allow for good circulation.

I don't use Parallels but I know for a fact that the VM, when running, is a separate process from VirtualBox. You can quit VirtualBox while the VM is running and the VM will still keep going. Are both the VM and Parallels closed? If so, open up Activity Monitor (/Applications/Utilities) and take a look to see what's using up your resources (both CPU and RAM). If you'd like clarification on what you see, you're more than welcome to post a screenshot of AM open so we can help you out.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
smol3404

http://www.flickr.com/photos/62199663@N00/5590106117/
sorry I'm not sure if this works.
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Simply put, you need more RAM. With the Core i7, your Mac will use about 1.5GB just to boot. So, assuming you're doing nothing on the Mac and you've allocated 2GB to the VM, you've got just a paltry 512MB in reserve. You Mac will start digging into virtual memory, and that's when things start to bog down - both on the VM and on the Mac.

I ran into almost the exact same issue. Added 8GB to my MacBook Pro and now the two run comfortably together.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

In case you weren't aware, you've got Parallels open there (not sure if you've opened it since). CPU usage looks normal. If you click on System Memory on the bottom, what values do you have for Free, Wired, Active and Inactive?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwa107 View Post
With the Core i7, your Mac will use about 1.5GB just to boot.
Really? That's quite a bit of RAM allocation out of the gates.

Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by vansmith View Post
Really? That's quite a bit of RAM allocation out of the gates.
Sure is. A disgusting amount, actually. I'm guessing it has something to do with the 4 physical and 4 virtual cores afforded by the i7.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
smol3404

i had parallels open there, i closed it and ran AM again, with all processes and i see something called _windowserver is that part of parallels or of OSX? i quit the process to see what it did, it reloaded my desktop.
QUOTE Thanks
MontyMo

MontyMo is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 2GHz 8GB RAM 750GB Hard Disk

I just ordered RAM for my MBP. I will be bringing it up to 8gig.
I am hoping to run SolidWorks. Right now I have 4gig, Autocad and Office run good. SW is a pig though. I am trying to avoid Bootcamp. I just to not want to reboot.
Monty

15" MacBook Pro
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

The i7 in the 13" (the only one with a 2.7) is a dual core i7. I have a C2D and don't experience anywhere near that kind of allocation. Now, I realize that my C2D is about three years old but do the i7s really need that much more RAM? This is truly astounding.

Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
smol3404

Screen shot 2011-04-04 at 5.09.51 PM | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
here's another screenshot without parallels running anywhere, so what is that windowserver all about?
QUOTE Thanks
MontyMo

MontyMo is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 2GHz 8GB RAM 750GB Hard Disk

Quote:
Originally Posted by vansmith View Post
The i7 in the 13" (the only one with a 2.7) is a dual core i7. I have a C2D and don't experience anywhere near that kind of allocation. Now, I realize that my C2D is about three years old but do the i7s really need that much more RAM? This is truly astounding.
I don't think the i7s need "that much ram" is one stays in the host OS. 4gig is more than enough for me without Parallels. Once I start Parallels, start Win7 and start SolidWorks, that all changes. I plan on giving Win7 6gig and at least 2 of the i7 cores.

SolidWorks (SW) is a 3D modeling program. THe bigger the assemblies the more ram SW needs. As I said, it is a resource hog.

SolidWorks

15" MacBook Pro
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Do I have trojan? or Virus? | G5 Isight boot o/s from USB »