New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Another Noob!

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Blackdeek2006

Blackdeek2006 is on a distinguished road

Hey folks, yup, another noob looking for advice .

I just recently purchased a MBP 15" refurb as my first foray into the Mac computer world. Haven't had a ton of time to really get into it (work, gym, other crap) and haven't even transferred my music collection over. As a Windows user, i'm making the move slowly away from my desktop so as not to screw myself up. Anyway, I'm sure you've heard all these before so onto the questions.

Shortcuts: I did find a post yesterday that had some handy keyboard short cuts but I didn't see the particular ones I was searching for, any help on these would be appreciated:
On a windows machine, using firefox, there are shortcut keys to input different web address types, such as ctrl+shift+enter ends up putting .org at the end. So i can type wikipedia ctrl+shift+enter and the web address will be there. There are similar combinations for .net. What are these for Mac?

Spacebar: When i log onto a forum, such as Mac-forum, i enter my user name, hit tab, enter my password, and, on a windows machine, hit tab again that usually goes to the remember me little checkbox, i would hit space for it to check the box. When i try this on the Mac, it jumps to the bottom of the page. Any option to help this situation?

Thanks all, i'm sure i'll have more questions as time goes by.

newscribe has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 2010 Macbook - OS X 10.9 - iPhone 4s - iPod - iPad

Maybe have a look here.
Mac OS X keyboard shortcuts
QUOTE Thanks
MYmacROX

MYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2008 15" MBP ML, 2012 21.5" iMac ML

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackdeek2006 View Post
Spacebar: When i log onto a forum, such as Mac-forum, i enter my user name, hit tab, enter my password, and, on a windows machine, hit tab again that usually goes to the remember me little checkbox, i would hit space for it to check the box. When i try this on the Mac, it jumps to the bottom of the page. Any option to help this situation?
Spacebar works the same way on a Mac. Maybe you're not tabbing enough times to get to the checkbox? If the box is outlined, pressing spacebar will check it.

Spacebar works as a page down function if no input fields are highlighted or selected. Spacebar+Shift is page up, fyi.

16GB iPhone 5, 64GB Wi-Fi only iPad 1st Gen.

Reminder: Please include your Mac's specs. This will make it much easier for the other members to assist you.
QUOTE Thanks
txtchr

txtchr has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, 2 GHz i7, 4 GB RAM

Thanks for those keyboard shortcuts, @oldscribe. Got my first Mac (MBP 15") about 2 weeks ago, and the transition has been pretty easy, but figuring out all of those keyboard shortcuts has been a challenge! Some are similar to a Windows system, but there are some differences. I hadn't found this page on the Apple site, but now it's added to my bookmarks for an easy reference.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« App Store purchase won't d/l | Considering a Mac Book Pro »