New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

A couple of questions

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

skiax

skiax is on a distinguished road

I had a partitioned internal drive and got rid of it with boot camp. But not really. When I go to disk utility, it shows two drives yet. What are the steps to integrate them into one drive? Secondly, on another thread, I asked about routers and wireless access to external drives. I chose the Seagate GoFlex Home. It's up and running...sort of. I tried to take a movie on my pro and store it on one of the externals. It seems to go through the process, but then tells me, "The operation cannot be completed because you do not have sufficient privileges for some of the items" This happens on both folders on the Goflex drive and the external drive I have usbd into that. BUT, when I hard dock the usb external,I again have write permission. At this point, the whole idea of wireless access is being defeated if I can't write on them.
Thank You,
Jim
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

These questions really should be separated and posted accordingly in the proper forums, however, let's see if we can briefly answer them here.

1. In order to partition or remove a partition from an internal boot drive, you first must start the machine with your recovery - install DVD. Enter Disk Utility, select partition, and then remove the unwanted partition by selecting it and pressing - (minus). Then grab the partition line with your mouse and drag it down until it encompasses the entire disk. Save, apply. Reboot the machine.

2. You need to tell us what the Goflex drive is formatted as. It sounds like it may be formatted to NTFS which would not allow you to write to it without a special driver. Or, if it's formatted as FAT-32, the movie file(s) are larger than 4 GB. Which again, would not allow you to write to the drive as FAT-32 is limited to a single file size of ~4 GB.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« copying items to external disk,,, | Do I get a MacBook Pro or an iMac for Uni? [UK] »