New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Sleep?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Phacade

Phacade will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 21" 3.6GHz Core i5 iMac, 12GB Crucial RAM

Is there an easier way to put my iMac to sleep? Granted hitting the Apple button and sleep isn't terribly difficult, but I was kinda hoping I could map an F-key to put it to sleep or something.

Also where's the settings to put it to sleep (as far as how much inactive time passes before it sleeps)?

21" 3.6GHz Core i5 iMac "Sputnik" ■ 12GB Crucial RAM ■ Monsoon flat-panel speakers ■ HP P1006 LaserJet printer ■ Full Keyboard ■ Canoscan 9000F flatbed scanner ■ ...and then of course me (being a narcissist, I consider this to be the most important mod).
QUOTE Thanks
MYmacROX

MYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2008 15" MBP ML, 2012 21.5" iMac ML

The answer to your second question is the suggestion I was going to offer to your first question.
Those settings are in System Preferences>Energy Saver.

16GB iPhone 5, 64GB Wi-Fi only iPad 1st Gen.

Reminder: Please include your Mac's specs. This will make it much easier for the other members to assist you.
QUOTE Thanks
Buzzard2010

Buzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really nice
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 15" 2014, 2.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 250GB SSD, OSX 10.9.5 - iPhone 5s 16gb

Settings for sleep delay are in System Preferences > Energy Saver
As for a shortcut, the only one I know is the keyboard shortcut alt+cmd+eject

Hope this helps
- Simon

If you have been helped, don't forget to use the Reputation system at the top right of their post.
May 2011
Nominated: March 2011 & April 2011
QUOTE Thanks
Shikarnov

Shikarnov is a jewel in the roughShikarnov is a jewel in the roughShikarnov is a jewel in the rough

If you want to have a "Go To Sleep" icon on your dock, like I do, Apple has an Automator action available for download.

Apple - Downloads - Automator Actions - Sleep

If you want - after you get the Automator action running, you could also assign it to an F-Key using the following instruction:

1 - Put your Automator Action into the Applications folder
2 - System Preferences > Keyboard > Keyboard Shortcuts > Application Shortcuts
3 - Click the + to add an app
4 - Select your sleep Automator App from the drop down.
5 - Give it a title
6 - Click in the Keyboard Shortcut box and then press whichever key you want to use.

There may be a conflict if that key is already in use by another action, so you'll want to go through the other shortcuts to uncheck whatever currently uses your F-Key.

Good luck,
Z
QUOTE Thanks
Phacade

How to I check if there are any other keys setup to use those shortcuts?

21" 3.6GHz Core i5 iMac "Sputnik" ■ 12GB Crucial RAM ■ Monsoon flat-panel speakers ■ HP P1006 LaserJet printer ■ Full Keyboard ■ Canoscan 9000F flatbed scanner ■ ...and then of course me (being a narcissist, I consider this to be the most important mod).
QUOTE Thanks
Shikarnov

Shikarnov is a jewel in the roughShikarnov is a jewel in the roughShikarnov is a jewel in the rough

In the Application Shortcuts window, go through the lists and see. That, or you can press the key you want and see what, if anything, happens
QUOTE Thanks
Phacade

I'm still learning...where is the application shortcuts window??

QUOTE Thanks
MYmacROX

MYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phacade View Post
I'm still learning...where is the application shortcuts window??
System Preferences>Keyboard>Keyboard Shortcuts Tab

For most settings, you'll usually look in System Preferences. That's often a good place to start.

Reminder: Please include your Mac's specs. This will make it much easier for the other members to assist you.
QUOTE Thanks
Phacade

Danke'! I've been going out of my way not to load Windows on my Mac for at least a few weeks in order to force myself to learn it. Its been great, but I definitely appreciate the help.

QUOTE Thanks
MYmacROX

No problem. You'll get it in time. There's always a bit of a learning curve.
Have you looked at the Mac 101 and Switch 101 tutorials?

QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

I'm not quite sure I see the point of trying for something easier than command-option-eject (ie, sleep). That seems pretty easy to me.

You could also set up a hot corner if you're more of a mousing person. That also is very easy.
QUOTE Thanks
Phacade

I probably did it wrong, but the one time I tried command-option-eject, my Mac rebooted. So I was looking for other options. Yes, I went through the Switch101 tutorials, but I'm more of a hands-on kind of learner. I may be pig-headed, but I'll get it.

QUOTE Thanks
Phacade

(this could sound stupid)

Okay so I'm looking at "sleep" right now under the Apple icon. Its got three symbols for sleep shortcut. Cloverleaf I understand is Command. Eject is self-explaining, but what is the (what I'm calling the) "slide" symbol? I've seen this before and I'm assuming that the slide symbol is either Control or Option.

QUOTE Thanks
Shikarnov

Assuming that "slide" key is what I think you're talking about, then it's the option key.

Option key
QUOTE Thanks
Phacade

Ah, got it!

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« So many questions here | really need help!! leopard »