New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

HP 2100 Laserjet on Trendnet TE100-P1P

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

MontyMo

MontyMo is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 2.3GHz 16GB RAM 1TB SSD

THe only thing I am have issues with is printing to my HP Laserjet 2100. THe 2100 has a parallel printer connection, LPT1. I put a Trendnet TE100-P1P printer server on it. My three Windows computers can successfully print to it. Unfortunately, I cannot get my MacBook Pro to print to it.

When I add the printer, I select IP. I have tried all three Protocols. IPP, LPD and HP Jetdirect. All fail (Using the HP 2100 Series driver listed in the "Print Using" drop down)

IPP and LPD connect and print, but the output looks like a bad driver. Page after page of gibberish. The Jetdirect will not print at all.

Any suggestions. Buying a new printer is NOT in the budget. I could swing a new print server if necessary. But to me it looks like a bad driver.

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks
Monty

15" MacBook Pro
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Use LPD, then make sure you manually change the driver (do not use Generic Postscript). I believe there should be a LaserJet 2100 driver in the list. That should do the trick. If it doesn't, try a LaserJet 4000 driver (any PCL driver should work fine).

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
MontyMo

I have tied both the 2100 and 4000 driver. Same results. It does not work.

An interestring thing I did find was Google Cloud Printer. Once set up, I can print to a shared printer from anywhere on the Internet. IT appears it can only be done from within CHrome.

Monty

15" MacBook Pro
QUOTE Thanks
MontyMo

I am beginning to suspect the Trendnet TE100-P1P. None of the drivers I have tried worked. I am considering a D-Link DP-301P .

15" MacBook Pro
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontyMo View Post
I am beginning to suspect the Trendnet TE100-P1P. None of the drivers I have tried worked. I am considering a D-Link DP-301P .
Doubtful. Print servers are pretty simplistic. This reeks of a driver issue to me. Have you tried any of the Gutenprint drivers?

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
MontyMo

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwa107 View Post
Doubtful. Print servers are pretty simplistic. This reeks of a driver issue to me. Have you tried any of the Gutenprint drivers?

WORDS!!!!
I can read WORDS!!!

THe Gutenprint drivers worked first try!!!
Thanks CWA107!!!

Monty

15" MacBook Pro
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontyMo View Post
WORDS!!!!
I can read WORDS!!!

THe Gutenprint drivers worked first try!!!
Thanks CWA107!!!

Monty
Glad to hear you've got it running.

Network printing with 3rd party print servers has always been a weak spot of OS X. Fortunately, most modern printers are shipping with built-in networking. And doubly-important for you, high-end HP printers tend to play ball with generic drivers.

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« i am sure this topic is posted somewhere i just cant find it | iMac Unexpected Shutdown »