Wait for OSX Lion!?
    I currently have a PC and am planning on purchasing the new Macbook Pro 15 in. model. With the osx Lion most likely coming out in June, should I wait to get the computer so the new OS is pre-installed?

Or would it be worth it to buy the computer now and buy the upgrade when the new OS comes out. I really really want the computer now, but if it's worth the wait I think I can hold off.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Specs:
    2011 13" MBP 2.3ghz, 8gig ram, OS 10.8.5
    There's no guarantees that OS 10.7 "Lion" will be released in June. So if it's later than that...then you will have to wait that much longer to buy a Mac Book Pro.

And don't ask if we know when it will be released (or even a best guess). Apple has said Summer 2011:

Apple - Mac OS X Lion

...that could mean June, July, August, or September! So the BIG question is...can you wait as long as September to buy a new Macintosh computer?

- Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

Lion has been released to developers for a good bit now... Preview 2 was released to developers March 30. Consequently, there are many sites with rumors and speculations - some more credible than others.

Here's a bunch from mac rumors:
    MacRumors.com Search Results

Probably a bunch on this forum as well.

Start reading and make an informed decision - see if those new features are REALLY going to matter to you...

Or, let me decide for you... buy the thing now! Do you honestly want to wait?

Specs:
    March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD
    Quote Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
    There's no guarantees that OS 10.7 "Lion" will be released in June. So if it's later than that...then you will have to wait that much longer to buy a Mac Book Pro.

...that could mean June, July, August, or September! So the BIG question is...can you wait as long as September to buy a new Macintosh computer?

- Nick
    And then...chances are...you'll be posting back wondering if you should wait until the next MBP comes out...you'll be in an endless do-loop. I personally would never gauge a purchasing decision on an OS release - but that's just me. Hardware - yes. Software - no.

Specs:
    2011 13" MBP 2.3ghz, 8gig ram, OS 10.8.5
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianLachoreVPI View Post
    And then...chances are...you'll be posting back wondering if you should wait until the next MBP comes out...you'll be in an endless do-loop.
    Ha ha...absolutely!

- Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

Quote Originally Posted by BrianLachoreVPI View Post
    And then...chances are...you'll be posting back wondering if you should wait until the next MBP comes out...you'll be in an endless do-loop. I personally would never gauge a purchasing decision on an OS release - but that's just me. Hardware - yes. Software - no.
    The question then becomes how much would an upgrade be? For example how much was the upgrade to Snow Leopard?

Also I guess it's safe to say there would be no hardware additions for the new OS, correct? I know they just upgraded the macbook pros but I just wanted to make sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Squintsisgod View Post
    The question then becomes how much would an upgrade be? For example how much was the upgrade to Snow Leopard?
    Leopard to Snow Leopard was $29 - SL to Lion is a guess at this point... $29, $79, $99, $129.

Most posts I've read tend to lean toward the high side given the amount of new features in Lion.

Pull the trigger... buy now! You'll thank me later.

Specs:
    March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD
    Quote Originally Posted by Squintsisgod View Post

Also I guess it's safe to say there would be no hardware additions for the new OS, correct? I know they just upgraded the macbook pros but I just wanted to make sure.
    No idea on the cost - although what triptolemus posted above ^^^ is as good as anyone can do for you there.

No - the new OS will not require new HW different from the MBP that was just released. Don't get fixated on all things latest and greatest - especially when it comes to SW or an OS. "Greatest" will be quite subjective - and no OS gets released without a few gremlins floating around. Snow Leopard will serve you just fine until you're ready to upgrade - if you decide to upgrade.

Specs:
    09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
    The new MBP are better than ever in every way so if you really want one get it and as for
    Lion no one knows but Apple and i doubt it will be before July but thats my guess.

Yeah you're probably right. I've been dying to get it ever since it came out, but was so fixated on Lion. What you guy are saying makes sense. I was in the Apple store today toying around with one, I think I might go back tonight and get it hahaha.

Specs:
    Imac 27" Retina 5K, 512GB Flash Storage, 3.3Ghz, 16GB memory, OS X.11.5.
    Could be three months away yet. Latest techos gossip is 'mid-year'.
    Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!

Specs:
    Mid-2012 MBP (16GB, 1TB HD), Monoprice 24-inch second monitor, iPhone 5s 32GB, iPad Air 2 64GB
    Could be SIX months away. Apple has a tendency to be vague about release dates for a reason. The bottom line is "nobody outside Apple actually knows."

I agree with those who say software is no reason to wait (unless it's coming out a week from now for sure, which it isn't). If you buy a machine with Snow Leopard on it, I'd just stick with that until the first couple of Lion updates have come out, THEN buy it.

Thread Information