Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. #1


    Member Since
    Apr 02, 2011
    Posts
    3
    Wait for OSX Lion!?
    I currently have a PC and am planning on purchasing the new Macbook Pro 15 in. model. With the osx Lion most likely coming out in June, should I wait to get the computer so the new OS is pre-installed?

    Or would it be worth it to buy the computer now and buy the upgrade when the new OS comes out. I really really want the computer now, but if it's worth the wait I think I can hold off.

    Any help would be greatly appreciated.

    Thanks!

  2. #2

    pigoo3's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 20, 2008
    Location
    U.S.
    Posts
    34,861
    Specs:
    2011 13" MBP 2.3ghz, 8gig ram, OS 10.8.5
    There's no guarantees that OS 10.7 "Lion" will be released in June. So if it's later than that...then you will have to wait that much longer to buy a Mac Book Pro.

    And don't ask if we know when it will be released (or even a best guess). Apple has said Summer 2011:

    Apple - Mac OS X Lion

    ...that could mean June, July, August, or September! So the BIG question is...can you wait as long as September to buy a new Macintosh computer?

    - Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

  3. #3


    Member Since
    Mar 24, 2011
    Posts
    23
    Lion has been released to developers for a good bit now... Preview 2 was released to developers March 30. Consequently, there are many sites with rumors and speculations - some more credible than others.

    Here's a bunch from mac rumors:
    MacRumors.com Search Results

    Probably a bunch on this forum as well.

    Start reading and make an informed decision - see if those new features are REALLY going to matter to you...

    Or, let me decide for you... buy the thing now! Do you honestly want to wait?

  4. #4

    BrianLachoreVPI's Avatar
    Member Since
    Feb 24, 2011
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    3,733
    Specs:
    March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD
    Quote Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
    There's no guarantees that OS 10.7 "Lion" will be released in June. So if it's later than that...then you will have to wait that much longer to buy a Mac Book Pro.

    ...that could mean June, July, August, or September! So the BIG question is...can you wait as long as September to buy a new Macintosh computer?

    - Nick
    And then...chances are...you'll be posting back wondering if you should wait until the next MBP comes out...you'll be in an endless do-loop. I personally would never gauge a purchasing decision on an OS release - but that's just me. Hardware - yes. Software - no.

  5. #5

    pigoo3's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 20, 2008
    Location
    U.S.
    Posts
    34,861
    Specs:
    2011 13" MBP 2.3ghz, 8gig ram, OS 10.8.5
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianLachoreVPI View Post
    And then...chances are...you'll be posting back wondering if you should wait until the next MBP comes out...you'll be in an endless do-loop.
    Ha ha...absolutely!

    - Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

  6. #6


    Member Since
    Apr 02, 2011
    Posts
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianLachoreVPI View Post
    And then...chances are...you'll be posting back wondering if you should wait until the next MBP comes out...you'll be in an endless do-loop. I personally would never gauge a purchasing decision on an OS release - but that's just me. Hardware - yes. Software - no.
    The question then becomes how much would an upgrade be? For example how much was the upgrade to Snow Leopard?

    Also I guess it's safe to say there would be no hardware additions for the new OS, correct? I know they just upgraded the macbook pros but I just wanted to make sure.

  7. #7


    Member Since
    Mar 24, 2011
    Posts
    23
    Quote Originally Posted by Squintsisgod View Post
    The question then becomes how much would an upgrade be? For example how much was the upgrade to Snow Leopard?
    Leopard to Snow Leopard was $29 - SL to Lion is a guess at this point... $29, $79, $99, $129.

    Most posts I've read tend to lean toward the high side given the amount of new features in Lion.

    Pull the trigger... buy now! You'll thank me later.

  8. #8

    BrianLachoreVPI's Avatar
    Member Since
    Feb 24, 2011
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    3,733
    Specs:
    March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD
    Quote Originally Posted by Squintsisgod View Post
    The question then becomes how much would an upgrade be? For example how much was the upgrade to Snow Leopard?

    Also I guess it's safe to say there would be no hardware additions for the new OS, correct? I know they just upgraded the macbook pros but I just wanted to make sure.
    No idea on the cost - although what triptolemus posted above ^^^ is as good as anyone can do for you there.

    No - the new OS will not require new HW different from the MBP that was just released. Don't get fixated on all things latest and greatest - especially when it comes to SW or an OS. "Greatest" will be quite subjective - and no OS gets released without a few gremlins floating around. Snow Leopard will serve you just fine until you're ready to upgrade - if you decide to upgrade.

  9. #9

    osxx's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 19, 2008
    Location
    houston texas
    Posts
    4,695
    Specs:
    09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
    The new MBP are better than ever in every way so if you really want one get it and as for
    Lion no one knows but Apple and i doubt it will be before July but thats my guess.

  10. #10


    Member Since
    Apr 02, 2011
    Posts
    3
    Yeah you're probably right. I've been dying to get it ever since it came out, but was so fixated on Lion. What you guy are saying makes sense. I was in the Apple store today toying around with one, I think I might go back tonight and get it hahaha.

  11. #11

    harryb2448's Avatar
    Member Since
    Nov 28, 2007
    Location
    Nambucca Heads Australia
    Posts
    22,018
    Specs:
    Imac 27" Retina 5K, 512GB Flash Storage, 3.3Ghz, 16GB memory, OS X.11.5.
    Could be three months away yet. Latest techos gossip is 'mid-year'.
    Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!

  12. #12


    Member Since
    Jan 22, 2010
    Location
    Victoria, BC
    Posts
    20,911
    Specs:
    Mid-2012 MBP (16GB, 1TB HD), Monoprice 24-inch second monitor, iPhone 5s 32GB, iPad Air 2 64GB
    Could be SIX months away. Apple has a tendency to be vague about release dates for a reason. The bottom line is "nobody outside Apple actually knows."

    I agree with those who say software is no reason to wait (unless it's coming out a week from now for sure, which it isn't). If you buy a machine with Snow Leopard on it, I'd just stick with that until the first couple of Lion updates have come out, THEN buy it.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. lion now, or wait a while for stable ML?
    By Groovetube in forum OS X - Operating System
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 05-21-2012, 09:21 AM
  2. Should I wait to install OSX Lion?
    By geek71 in forum OS X - Operating System
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 08-30-2011, 12:55 PM
  3. Should I wait to buy an Apple once Lion comes out?
    By sandspr87 in forum OS X - Operating System
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 07-15-2011, 07:42 PM
  4. Leopard - Upgrade to Snow or wait for Lion?
    By Saturngoddess in forum OS X - Operating System
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 06-10-2011, 04:43 PM
  5. Glad I didn't wait for Lion
    By halfmonkey in forum OS X - Operating System
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 05-24-2011, 09:15 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •