New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Do I need to Shut Down my iMac??

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

TomServo

TomServo will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 27" iMAC 3.20GHZ INTEL CORE I3, 1TB SERIAL ATA DRIVE, ATI RADEON HD 5750 1GB GDDR5, 12GB DDR3 RAM

Can I just let it go to sleep instead of shutting it down when I'm finished?

Thanks

Tom
QUOTE Thanks
RavingMac

RavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 4GB Mac Mini 2012, 13" MBA, 15" MacBook Pro OSX 10.7, 32 GB iPhone 3GS, iPad2 64gb 3G

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomServo View Post

Thanks

Tom
IMO, Yes

I've always wanted to be smart, handsome and modest. But, I guess I'll have to be satisfied with two out of three . . .
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomServo View Post

Thanks

Tom
Absolutely. The underpinnings of OS X have their roots in UNIX, which was designed to run 24/7/365. So, there is usually little need to reboot (unless you're getting a significant system update). I close the lid when I'm done, I open it when I want to use it - and seldom do I ever reboot.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
Buzzard2010

Buzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really nice
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 15" 2014, 2.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 250GB SSD, OSX 10.9.5 - iPhone 5s 16gb

I have been doing just that for a long time now, no bad experiences in doing it, and from what I have heard from alot of other people there really isn't anything bad going to happen at all. I do however shut mine down from time-to-time but we are talking once every few months though.

Hope this helps

- Simon

If you have been helped, don't forget to use the Reputation system at the top right of their post.
May 2011
Nominated: March 2011 & April 2011
QUOTE Thanks
roflitskyle

roflitskyle has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: MacBook Unibody 13" 150 GB HDD

The only time I shut mine off, is when I know I am not going to be using it for a couple of days. Or when I am running out of battery life and no apparent reason to use it, I just turn it off. I have had no problems with my laptop.

- Kyle
QUOTE Thanks
gtirr

gtirr is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Mac Book Pro 15" 2.4 GHz. Core i5 4GB 1067 MHz. DDR-3 Ram

How about when you are transporting it?
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtirr View Post
How about when you are transporting it?
I'm going to guess it's not on AC power when you're transporting an iMac, so it should be shut down anyway.

If you're referring to a notebook - providing you close the lid and it's in sleep mode, it should be fine.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

Apple themselves (can't find the technote at the moment) recommend putting the computer to sleep rather than shut down UNLESS you are going to be away from it for a longer period of time than normal.

As for laptops in knapsacks, the SAFEST thing to do is to shut it down when being transported in an enclosed bag. This prevents the possibility of it accidentally "waking up" and overheating due to lack of ventilation.

In normal use, however, I find that if one is thoughtful enough to WAIT once the lid is closed to CONFIRM that the laptop is in fact asleep, it should be fine for transport.
QUOTE Thanks
Mini_mi

Mini_mi is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2011 MacBook Air, i5 27" IMac, 2010 21.5" IMac, 2010 Mini, 2011 13" MBP, IPhone 4, Airport Extreme

I have 2 iMacs and basically don't shut them down, never had any problems. Macs run maintenance jobs when not in use, so best to leave your iMac running.
QUOTE Thanks
TomServo

TomServo will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 27" iMAC 3.20GHZ INTEL CORE I3, 1TB SERIAL ATA DRIVE, ATI RADEON HD 5750 1GB GDDR5, 12GB DDR3 RAM

Thanks guys, BTW my question was for a 27" iMac.

Cheers

Tom
QUOTE Thanks
gtirr

gtirr is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Mac Book Pro 15" 2.4 GHz. Core i5 4GB 1067 MHz. DDR-3 Ram

I'm sorry guys as I didn't specify that it was indeed a Mac Book Pro.
But thanks for the info! The few times that I do take it with me I do
shut it down before I place it in it's case.
Russ
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« uninstalling applications?????? | Operation Double the Ram »