New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Coming from Ubuntu Chrome

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

pjiffy

pjiffy is on a distinguished road

I innocently thought if I exported my bookmarks to my external HD, I could then import them into Chrome for OSX but apparently it doesn't work that way. I can see the file but the name is greyed out. Is there a way I can do this or will I have to reassemble my old machine and do a sync?
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

According to Google, Chrome exported your bookmarks file as HTML.

http://www.google.com/support/chrome...y?answer=96816

Also according to Google, Chrome can import HTML bookmarks files, so make sure you are following the procedure exactly as described at the link above.
QUOTE Thanks
wavinwayne

wavinwayne has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Late '09 Macbook Pro 13"

You can painlessly sync your Chrome bookmarks across multiple computers and OSs. I have my Chrome bookmarks synced across my MBP, Windows PC, and Ubuntu netbook. In Chrome, look in Options under "Personal Stuff" to set up sync.

Don't believe anything I tell you, unless it is consistent with what you already know to be true, or unless you have taken the time to research the matter to prove its accuracy to your satisfaction. This is known as "doing your homework."
QUOTE Thanks
MontyMo

MontyMo is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 2GHz 8GB RAM 750GB Hard Disk

Quote:
Originally Posted by wavinwayne View Post
You can painlessly sync your Chrome bookmarks across multiple computers and OSs. I have my Chrome bookmarks synced across my MBP, Windows PC, and Ubuntu netbook. In Chrome, look in Options under "Personal Stuff" to set up sync.
+1 This rules!
Tools| Preferences|Personal Stuff

I sync everything. IT is so nice to have browsing history even plugins transfer from computer to computer. All behind the scenes.

15" MacBook Pro
QUOTE Thanks
Shikarnov

Shikarnov is a jewel in the roughShikarnov is a jewel in the roughShikarnov is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjiffy View Post
I innocently thought if I exported my bookmarks to my external HD, I could then import them into Chrome for OSX but apparently it doesn't work that way. I can see the file but the name is greyed out. Is there a way I can do this or will I have to reassemble my old machine and do a sync?
Sometimes, when I save files, my Mac won't automatically add the appropriate file extension. The result is that programs looking for a certain type of file end up greying out files which ought to work. Perhaps something similar happened with your exported file.

If I am, indeed, correct, try adding the appropriate extension to your file and then Chrome ought to allow you to select and import it.

Good luck
QUOTE Thanks
louishen

louishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver

You can also sync bookmarks between multiple browsers and OSes using a cloud service like Xmarks

Xmarks | Bookmark Sync and Search

Member of the Month September 2008 & August 2012 | Found advice useful? use the rep system
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

I just booted up my openSUSE VM and exported my bookmarks from Chrome there. I went to import them into Chrome here in OS X and everything went well. How did you export your bookmarks?

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
pjiffy

pjiffy is on a distinguished road

Thankyou for the input guys. Shikarnov, you had it spot on. I simply added .html to the end of the file name and Chrome picked it up no problem. Coming from Ubuntu, extensions are something I never had to think about much. Thankyou.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Considering a Mac Book Pro | New iMac & Apple TV - iTunes Issue w/ 2 users »