Coming from Ubuntu Chrome
    I innocently thought if I exported my bookmarks to my external HD, I could then import them into Chrome for OSX but apparently it doesn't work that way. I can see the file but the name is greyed out. Is there a way I can do this or will I have to reassemble my old machine and do a sync?

Specs:
    Mid-2012 MBP (16GB, 1TB HD), Monoprice 24-inch second monitor, iPhone 5s 32GB, iPad Air 2 64GB
    According to Google, Chrome exported your bookmarks file as HTML.

http://www.google.com/support/chrome...y?answer=96816

Also according to Google, Chrome can import HTML bookmarks files, so make sure you are following the procedure exactly as described at the link above.

Specs:
    Late '09 Macbook Pro 13"
    You can painlessly sync your Chrome bookmarks across multiple computers and OSs. I have my Chrome bookmarks synced across my MBP, Windows PC, and Ubuntu netbook. In Chrome, look in Options under "Personal Stuff" to set up sync.
    Don't believe anything I tell you, unless it is consistent with what you already know to be true, or unless you have taken the time to research the matter to prove its accuracy to your satisfaction. This is known as "doing your homework."

Specs:
    MacBook Pro 2.3GHz 16GB RAM 1TB SSD
    Quote Originally Posted by wavinwayne View Post
    You can painlessly sync your Chrome bookmarks across multiple computers and OSs. I have my Chrome bookmarks synced across my MBP, Windows PC, and Ubuntu netbook. In Chrome, look in Options under "Personal Stuff" to set up sync.
    +1 This rules!
    Tools| Preferences|Personal Stuff

I sync everything. IT is so nice to have browsing history even plugins transfer from computer to computer. All behind the scenes.
    15" MacBook Pro

Quote Originally Posted by pjiffy View Post
    I innocently thought if I exported my bookmarks to my external HD, I could then import them into Chrome for OSX but apparently it doesn't work that way. I can see the file but the name is greyed out. Is there a way I can do this or will I have to reassemble my old machine and do a sync?
    Sometimes, when I save files, my Mac won't automatically add the appropriate file extension. The result is that programs looking for a certain type of file end up greying out files which ought to work. Perhaps something similar happened with your exported file.

If I am, indeed, correct, try adding the appropriate extension to your file and then Chrome ought to allow you to select and import it.

Good luck

Specs:
    Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
    You can also sync bookmarks between multiple browsers and OSes using a cloud service like Xmarks

Xmarks | Bookmark Sync and Search
    Member of the Month September 2008 & August 2012 | Found advice useful? use the rep system

Specs:
    2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)
    I just booted up my openSUSE VM and exported my bookmarks from Chrome there. I went to import them into Chrome here in OS X and everything went well. How did you export your bookmarks?
    Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
    M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
    Writing a Quality Post

Thankyou for the input guys. Shikarnov, you had it spot on. I simply added .html to the end of the file name and Chrome picked it up no problem. Coming from Ubuntu, extensions are something I never had to think about much. Thankyou.

Thread Information