New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Switching Back - Itunes from OSX to Windows

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Cpfoxhunt

Cpfoxhunt is on a distinguished road

It is with quite a lot of regret that the time has come to switch back to a windows machine from my trusty old macbook pro. The macbook has unfortunately gone at the hinges - when I try to close it, the back of the screen pops off. And the new macbook pros are fearsomely expensive - I have picked up a refurb windows machine for over a grand less than what I would have paid for the mac, and its three time as fast as the old computer.

I have both and ipad and an iphone, and as such use windows. My question is this: How can I switch over my mac itunes to the windows machine in such a way as to not lose any app data for the ios devices? I would also appreciate retaining playlists, ratings etc.

Any help would be greatly appreciated,

(And yes I have tried just editing the xml file, and it doesn't seem to work.)

Cheers

Cpfoxhunt
QUOTE Thanks
Shikarnov

Shikarnov is a jewel in the roughShikarnov is a jewel in the roughShikarnov is a jewel in the rough

Have you tried just copying your entire iTunes folder, including all its content and configuration files, and overwriting the iTunes folder in Windows (although, I think you may still need to modify things like forward slashes to backslashes, and drivepath information)?
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

You don't even need to change anything. It really is as simple as copying the files in the Music folder on your Mac and pasting it into the My Music folder on your PC. The file formats are all the same. This way your music, your apps, and all your iTunes settings (including playlists) will be transferred and you should pick up right where you left off.

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks
Cpfoxhunt

It didn't seem to work when I did it - I just pasted the itunes folder from the mac into my music on the pc, and nothing changed. Did I need to delete the windows files first? It was en empty library but I guess the initial install might have left some config files about?

Also will I retain my app saved data doing it this way from the iphone etc?

Thanks very much for the replies!
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

Be more descriptive in exactly how you copied the files. In your My Music folder, was there already a folder labeled iTunes? If so, did you simply merge that folder with the one from your Mac or did you overwrite it?

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks
Cpfoxhunt

Well I initially overwrote the windows itunes folder and just clicked accept on the copy and replace prompts, so I guess that fits over the merged category.

This time I nuked it, quit out of itunes helper and copied over the entire mac one. The library now says that it's updating, and it looks like all my files and playlists are there. Thanks very much!

Cpfoxhunt
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2009 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpfoxhunt View Post
And the new macbook pros are fearsomely expensive
Actually, I think they are in fact the exact same price you paid last time. Which, accounting for inflation, means they are actually CHEAPER than you paid last time.

Just sayin'.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Can Windows HIJACK my Mac? | where did iphoto go?! »