New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Parallels: WinXP or Win7?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Phacade

Phacade will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 21" 3.6GHz Core i5 iMac, 12GB Crucial RAM

So I'm waiting on my copy of Parallels 6 to arrive and got thinking, which OS do I load up?

I really only need Windows on my Mac for a few "geek" apps like my D&D character creator (its for my nephew...honest!), perhaps a few graphic programs I'm familiar with, and a few older games that prefer Windows.

The big question, do I load Win7 to stay "current" (and so it'll actually recognize the 12GB of RAM I have on my Mac) or do I load WinXP to save space? Win XP will only recognize 3GB of RAM. Whatcha think?

EDIT: Oh, and is it possible to have a 2nd monitor hooked up to my iMac with Windows running on one (in Parallels) and OSX running on the screen of the iMac?

21" 3.6GHz Core i5 iMac "Sputnik" ■ 12GB Crucial RAM ■ Monsoon flat-panel speakers ■ HP P1006 LaserJet printer ■ Full Keyboard ■ Canoscan 9000F flatbed scanner ■ ...and then of course me (being a narcissist, I consider this to be the most important mod).
QUOTE Thanks
osxx

osxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3

I would definitely go for W7 at some point XP will not be able to keep up IE9 is one example and sure why would it not in a virtual machine.
QUOTE Thanks
CreativeGuy

CreativeGuy has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: MacPro, MacBook Pro, iPhone 4

Windows 7 actually runs smoother than XP does (for me anyway). And yes, you CAN run Parallels on a second screen hooked up to your iMac - just move the windows over to the second screen.

The Graphic Mac - Tips, tricks, tutorials and commentary on all things Mac and graphics software.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

Quote:
The big question, do I load Win7 to stay "current" (and so it'll actually recognize the 12GB of RAM I have on my Mac) or do I load WinXP to save space? Win XP will only recognize 3GB of RAM. Whatcha think?
Keep in mind that you will need to install Win 7 64 bit in order to utilize your 12 GB of memory. Windows 7 32 bit like all other 32 bit operating systems will only address 3.3 GB of memory.
QUOTE Thanks
MontyMo

MontyMo is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 2GHz 8GB RAM 750GB Hard Disk

I will be installing W7 64 bit tomorrow. I only have 4 gig of ram. I am using 64 bit in hopes that I'm be adding more ram in the future.

I'll let up know how things go

Monty

15" MacBook Pro
QUOTE Thanks
the8thark

the8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3

I will echo the above and say W7. Simply cause WXP is old technology and will be eventually phased out. And things like IE9 and DX11 won't run with WXP. Plus W7 is not a bad OS. It's ok. Much better then the POS that Vista was.
QUOTE Thanks
bazanders

bazanders will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: mid 2011 27" imac Core i5 2.7GHz, 8GB, 1TB

Another vote for win7, bear in mind games suck on a vm much better of with bootcamp for them
QUOTE Thanks
IvanLasston

IvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2

I have tried both. XP runs quite nicely - but it is quite old. I've noticed no problems running Windows 7 64 bit under Parallels or Bootcamp.

Note - when I don't have a second monitor attached I use Spaces. Basically I have 1 space dedicated to the Windows VM, 1 space dedicated to the Linux VM, and use hotkeys to move around. Both VMs are running full screen.
Attached Images
File Type: png Screen shot 2011-04-01 at 10.15.23 AM.png (411.9 KB, 7 views)
QUOTE Thanks
Shikarnov

Shikarnov is a jewel in the roughShikarnov is a jewel in the roughShikarnov is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phacade View Post
So I'm waiting on my copy of Parallels 6 to arrive and got thinking, which OS do I load up?
I'd go with XP. If your Windows requirements are modest -- and I admit that I have no clue how significant the D&D Character Creator is -- and you can get by with 3GB or less of RAM, then that's what I'd do. Why take more resources than needed away from OSX?

ETA: If you don't already own an XP license, then you might opt to go with W7. XP Licenses seem to be drying up, which is inflating the price. You can get Windows 7 Home Premium for a little over $100 http://www.viosoftware.com/Windows+7+Home+Premium/
QUOTE Thanks
Phacade

Phacade will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 21" 3.6GHz Core i5 iMac, 12GB Crucial RAM

I actually own two licenses for XP, but don't have one for Win7 yet, but was considering trying it. Granted $100 is an expensive trial. My old computer had 1GB of RAm and ran my geek programs fine.

21" 3.6GHz Core i5 iMac "Sputnik" ■ 12GB Crucial RAM ■ Monsoon flat-panel speakers ■ HP P1006 LaserJet printer ■ Full Keyboard ■ Canoscan 9000F flatbed scanner ■ ...and then of course me (being a narcissist, I consider this to be the most important mod).
QUOTE Thanks
Shikarnov

Shikarnov is a jewel in the roughShikarnov is a jewel in the roughShikarnov is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phacade View Post
$100 is an expensive trial.
I don't know if you'll qualify, but MS does offer free 90 day trials.
Windows 7 Enterprise for Windows 7 - Windows 7 the best-performing Windows - Windows 7 Download
QUOTE Thanks
MontyMo

So far so good.
Parallels is installed. WIn7 installed and Autocad 2004 is installed

screen shot

15" MacBook Pro
QUOTE Thanks
dsstao

dsstao is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontyMo View Post
So far so good.
Parallels is installed. WIn7 installed and Autocad 2004 is installed

screen shot
Congrats. I was surprised to see you running in Coherence mode with AutoCAD. How's the performance compared to Window or Full Screen mode?

Personally, I hate the lag that comes when moving WinXP/7 windows around in Coherence.

A+, MCSE Certified IT Pro
Senior tech
QUOTE Thanks
MontyMo

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsstao View Post
Congrats. I was surprised to see you running in Coherence mode with AutoCAD. How's the performance compared to Window or Full Screen mode?

Personally, I hate the lag that comes when moving WinXP/7 windows around in Coherence.
Yes, I am no longer using Coherence Mode. THe computer is much quicker windowed. I haven't really done much work in AutoCAD yet. That (unfortunately) will come.

15" MacBook Pro
QUOTE Thanks
TomServo

TomServo will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 27" iMAC 3.20GHZ INTEL CORE I3, 1TB SERIAL ATA DRIVE, ATI RADEON HD 5750 1GB GDDR5, 12GB DDR3 RAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
Keep in mind that you will need to install Win 7 64 bit in order to utilize your 12 GB of memory. Windows 7 32 bit like all other 32 bit operating systems will only address 3.3 GB of memory.
Rats. I screwed up when I installed Win7, I installed the 32 bit version. Looks like I'll need to re-install the 64 bit version. Thanks for that bit of info.

Tom
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Apple Financing questions? | advice on downloader for mac....... »