New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Switching to MacBook Pro.. Please help

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

gsadhirianto

gsadhirianto is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iPod touch 4th gen, 32GB

Hello all,

I have been using Windows computers and laptops for my entire life and will be soon switching to MacBook Pro because I am tired paying for anti-viruses and want to explore more in terms of Photography and Music making. I believe getting a Mac will be a good solution?

I am planning to get the MacBook Pro 13" 2011, i5 2.3 Ghz, Intel HD 3000 graphics. On Windows I usually use softwares such as:
-Photoscape
-GIMP
-Adobe Photoshop
-Cool Edit Pro
-Cubase
-Engineering softwares (though for this maybe not all softwares available on Mac platform): Eagle, KeilC, SIMATIC Step7, Qt Creator, etc.
- and I also work with Microcontrollers.

I also like to play games sometimes such as Counter-Strike or Need For Speed.

So, would this MBP suffice for this purpose? Especially in terms of the graphic card because I've heard some bad reviews on it. For Photoshop and Cubase/Cool Edit Pro(if available), would it suffer a bit of lagging or something? I am currently using an HP laptop with ATI Radeon HD 4350 and everything works perfectly and smoothly. I have seen the graphics card hierarchy and surprisingly HD 4350 and Intel HD 3000 are on the same stage. Is that correct?

Is the glossy screen of this MBP annoying? Because some reviews said it is too reflective.

I am sorry for the questions, I just had bad experience with laptops. I had 3 laptops in the past 3 years because of some problems, so I would want my new MBP to last long. At least for 2.5-3 years.

So, thank you very much for your help.
QUOTE Thanks
gtirr

gtirr is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Mac Book Pro 15" 2.4 GHz. Core i5 4GB 1067 MHz. DDR-3 Ram

I guess I'll be the first to welcome you to the Mac Forums. I'm a newbie myself as I just switched a short time ago. But these guys (And gals?) have been a great help for me because, like you, I've had nothing but PC's for the last 10 years. And I'm still struggling and I'm a long way from feeling as comfortable on my new Mac as I hope to be a year from now if I live that long.
I'm sorry that I can't really answer your questions, but you will soon have all the help you will need from some very nice folks up here.
And again, welcome to the forum and I hope you enjoy your new MBP!!!
Russ
QUOTE Thanks
gsadhirianto

Thanks for your warm welcome. Well I hope I will get the help I need here
QUOTE Thanks
Oneironaut

Oneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really nice
Mac Specs: 21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB

I would say that since a lot of what you want to do requires a lot of graphics processing power, you should go a step up and get a 15 inch Macbook Pro. It has discrete rather than integrated graphics.

You can also get the 15 inch in the anti-glare model. I personally find the glossy screen WAY too reflective if you're going to be in changing light conditions. I feel that the colors are a little exaggerated or something, and I need color to be accurately represented for video work.

But that's just my two cents. Either way, I LOVE my Mac, after years as an Apple-hating Windows user.
QUOTE Thanks
gsadhirianto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oneironaut View Post
I would say that since a lot of what you want to do requires a lot of graphics processing power, you should go a step up and get a 15 inch Macbook Pro. It has discrete rather than integrated graphics.

You can also get the 15 inch in the anti-glare model. I personally find the glossy screen WAY too reflective if you're going to be in changing light conditions. I feel that the colors are a little exaggerated or something, and I need color to be accurately represented for video work.

But that's just my two cents. Either way, I LOVE my Mac, after years as an Apple-hating Windows user.
The problem is, my budget is not that high, and I don't like the 15" screen. But for my requirements, will the 13" survive? or will it be too much load for that kind of requirements?

Guess I'll end up as a Mac lover too, despite have been hating Mac for years as well.
QUOTE Thanks
gsadhirianto

That's what I think too. The 15" is just too big and -for me- out of budget.

By you saying without any major hiccups, did you mean that there are some minors? For the Photoshop, if it really does not heat up and still loads and works fast and smooth, then I think it would be enough. What kind of games do you play?
QUOTE Thanks
gsadhirianto

No,gaming is not necessarily a must to me. Only if there's nothing else I could do with my Mac, which i believe will be very rare. I usually play Counter-Strike or Need For Speed. I'll be looking for Dual-Boot with Windows 7 as well
QUOTE Thanks
dodgeroo

dodgeroo is on a distinguished road

This may be old news for some but I thought it would be good to log this info here.

Cool Edit Pro (PC only) is now Adobe Audition (Mac & PC) so if you like Cool Edit Pro and like Mac like I do, now you can have it all

There is also rumblings that Samplitude might be coming out for Mac in less than a year.

Cheers,

Carey
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« looking for software to print and manage membership cards | Avatar display »