New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

App Tamer Thoughts?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

johndope83

johndope83 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 2011 13" MBP 2.3 Ghz Intel Core i5 4GB RAM

Ey guys sorry again for raising a nosy question but I decided to ask around first before i download and try any applications. As much of you guys had advised me before... Ask before do... Well I'd just want to be safe before i download "App Tamer".

Any thoughts (good or bad) with this application?

Your inputs will be greatly appreciated.

TIA

2011 13" MBP 2.3 Ghz Intel Core i5 4GB RAM
QUOTE Thanks
the8thark

the8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3

I would recommend not to download this App (App Tamer) at all. You just don't need it on OS X. Apple has a good job to make sure the the cpu load and core temperatures are just fine most of the time.

If you are paranoid you can download the "istat pro" widget.
Apple - Downloads - Dashboard Widgets - iStat Pro
This gives you the core temps and network traffic speed and other info you'll need. I have this and it's quite handy info to have.

Also downloading Onyx/Maintenance
Titanium's Software • Home
Is one of the best ways to keep your Mac healthy and worry free. Again not needed cause Apple automated scripts do a lot of this. But I use it and it's nice to clear the logs and other things from time to time.
QUOTE Thanks
johndope83

johndope83 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 2011 13" MBP 2.3 Ghz Intel Core i5 4GB RAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the8thark View Post
I would recommend not to download this App (App Tamer) at all. You just don't need it on OS X. Apple has a good job to make sure the the cpu load and core temperatures are just fine most of the time.

If you are paranoid you can download the "istat pro" widget.
Apple - Downloads - Dashboard Widgets - iStat Pro
This gives you the core temps and network traffic speed and other info you'll need. I have this and it's quite handy info to have.

Also downloading Onyx/Maintenance
Titanium's Software • Home
Is one of the best ways to keep your Mac healthy and worry free. Again not needed cause Apple automated scripts do a lot of this. But I use it and it's nice to clear the logs and other things from time to time.
thanks for the reply and I value your opinion on the matter. i'm actually a fan of one of your threads A Switchers guide to recommended free Apps to download to your new Mac. It has been really useful for me. thanks!!

2011 13" MBP 2.3 Ghz Intel Core i5 4GB RAM
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

"App Tamer" isn't "dangerous" or anything, it's just unnecessary. It's like all these people who apparently seriously believe that Apple forgot to handle proper cooling of their Mac so now they (the user) have to micro-manage it.

It's ridiculous.
QUOTE Thanks
Raz0rEdge

Raz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 5 & 5S, iPod Nano 7th Gen, iPad 2 16GB WiFi, iPad 3

A program like App Tamer is most useful in an environment with limited resources, memory or CPU power. In these environments, putting background apps to "sleep" will ensure that whatever limited resources are there will be available to the foreground application.

However, with most modern systems, the app yields very little improvement. I downloaded this and tried it for a couple of days on my i7 iMac to see how things would go and I got about 1.2% improvements by App Tamer's calculations mainly by pausing Chrome whenever I went to another application.

Overall, you can definitely skip this application as the benefits are minimal..

Regards
QUOTE Thanks
CreativeGuy

CreativeGuy has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: MacPro, MacBook Pro, iPhone 4

It's a great app that does what it claims to do. But as others have said, there's really not enough payoff because OS X is smart enough to handle memory/cpu use on its own.

The Graphic Mac - Tips, tricks, tutorials and commentary on all things Mac and graphics software.
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndope83 View Post
Ey guys sorry again for raising a nosy question but I decided to ask around first before i download and try any applications. As much of you guys had advised me before... Ask before do... Well I'd just want to be safe before i download "App Tamer".

Any thoughts (good or bad) with this application?

Your inputs will be greatly appreciated.

TIA
Just out of curiosity... are you having problems with your Mac? Is it not performing up to expectations?

I only ask because you seem to have some kind of fixation on troubleshooting and maintenance apps, despite having been told repeatedly that they just aren't necessary on this platform (and if they are, they're used very seldom).

Again... if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
6string

6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)

+1 on cwa107's post.
....if it ain't broke!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« HOWTO Rigt Click Properties Target Box on Mac | Advice on how to deal with Apple customer relations »