New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Computer Science Major, a few questions about notebook choices....

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

DrHiggsBoson

DrHiggsBoson is on a distinguished road

Hello all, I'm a few years into college now and have most of my gen. ed's out of the way. I recently picked up a 13" base MBP and I'm a little curious if any other CS majors, or anyone related in the workforce, could give me some advice on a few things...

Basic info:
I do have a powerful desktop with Windows/Linux installed for the majority of my bigger programs, gaming, etc...
The notebook is going to be used for a few programming classes. C++, JavaScript, PHP, a few other basic programs. I might do some light gaming. SCII, maybe WoW if some of my friends keep forcing it down my throat, lol. I might be looking into programming for the iOS and Mac apps, but that isn't going to be very extensive. I'll be updating to a more powerful notebook, or maybe an iMac when I get into that heavily.

First, I am going to be exchanging out my MBP this weekend due to dead pixels (14 days per Best Buy) and I have been really interested in the Macbook Air recently. I love the size and the resolution, but without the extra power, backlit keyboard, and edge to edge glass I'm not sure if I should go that path. I've seen a few dozen threads on this subject and know most of the pro's and cons between the two, but with the recent updates I was wondering if the 11" would be a good choice as a portable programming computer. I'm not sure if bigger programs would be too intense for the C2D in the 11". I'm not big on the 13" MBA, I really like the 11" size and 16:9 screen, but if the 11" wouldn't be a good choice, I would keep the MBP. The only question I would have for the 13" is, would the i7 and bump in HDD space really be worth the $300 upgrade?

I would also like to hear of some of the favorite Mac programs for programming and the like! I have done a little coding with xCode 4 and I see it as a huge improvement from Visual Studios.

I love the Mac OS and the Macbook Pro so far and I know I'll be happy with any choice I make. Just looking for outside advice. I appreciate all of the help.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Changing Window size? | Some Advice Please »