New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

themes????

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

lekhraaj

lekhraaj is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: MBA 11inch, Ipod touch 8gigs 4th+Iphone 3GS, Ipod nano 1.1

HI all i have just learned 1% of my MBA and to be truthful i reckon there is a lot more and i am all for it....
its not that hard with help from all the moderators and mentors...i would especially appreciate the efforts of these people who helped me with my simple Q's.

now just help me: are there themes available .....as i seen some dock photos and they were amazing.

also is there any way that if i close my lid the computer wont sleep....i luked in system preferences but couldnot find anything.....

thanku

bhaag bhaag DK BOSE
QUOTE Thanks
lekhraaj

lekhraaj is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: MBA 11inch, Ipod touch 8gigs 4th+Iphone 3GS, Ipod nano 1.1

also i am grateful to ..
chas_m
vansmith
schweb
robduckyworth
oneironaut
pig003...

thanks .....

bhaag bhaag DK BOSE
QUOTE Thanks
BrianLachoreVPI

BrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD

There aren't any real built-in themes in OS X - but there are tweakable elements. If you really want themes you'll need to visit places like Max Themes or ResExcellence | Appearance Themes. The only way I know to keep the computer from going to sleep is to go into Energy Settings and set the slider to 'never' - but make sure that's really how you want it to behave.
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

If you close the lid, you are telling the Mac you are not using it anymore and it will go to sleep of course. There probably is a way to defeat this (Brian's method won't work) -- but for most models it is NOT recommended, as the MBA uses the open cover in part to disperse heat (heat rises and all that).
QUOTE Thanks
BrianLachoreVPI

BrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD

Quote:
Originally Posted by chas_m View Post
(Brian's method won't work)
I should know better than to guess
QUOTE Thanks
robduckyworth

robduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC

also, places like

deviantART: where ART meets application!
MacThemes

if you want me to explain how to apply icons, i am happy to. however I think you should get more used to your Mac, and recognizing the stock icons before changing any of them.

to stop the lid going to sleep, use insomniax:

http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/22211/insomniax

this can damage your new computer! use it sparingly, only when you really need to use it. make sure you turn it off after use, and dont leave it running too long.

If you find a post helpful, don't forget to use the reputation system (top right of post.)
Join us in the IRC! How? Add me on Steam, Origin or PSN (Vita): robduckyworth
QUOTE Thanks
johndope83

johndope83 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 2011 13" MBP 2.3 Ghz Intel Core i5 4GB RAM

as robduckyworth and chas_m have pointed out, it is highly not recommended to close your computer's lid and avoid it from going to sleep.

if you are downloading something and you want to prevent the computer from going to sleep you can try Apple - Downloads - System/Disk Utilities - Caffeine and lower your screen's brightness all the way down to conserve battery life. but is highly not recommended to close the lid for the purpose of letting the heat escape via the keyboard. Caffeine would keep your computer running but once you close the lid it will put your MBA to sleep still.

2011 13" MBP 2.3 Ghz Intel Core i5 4GB RAM
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Easy Way to Show Desktop? | Legacy Paranoia »