New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Advice on a book

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

smol3404

smol3404 is on a distinguished road

Hello Folks i'm new to macs, this is my first macbook pro 13" I7 500gb and 4gb ram, never having own a mac before, i was wondering what advice you folks might have on a book to learn the ins and outs of my mac, something a little more advanced than macs for dummies

Thank you in advance.
QUOTE Thanks
Chef_eam

Chef_eam is a jewel in the roughChef_eam is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: iMac 27" 2.66GHz i5, 1TB HDD, 12GB RAM, OS X 10.7.3, iPod Classic 160GB,iPad 1 64GB Wi-fi, iPhone 4S

I can't recommend this one enough. It is an extremely good book. Mac OS X Snow Leopard: The Missing Manual - O'Reilly Media
QUOTE Thanks
the8thark

the8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3

I second that book.
But it might be better to wait a while for the Lion book though.
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

If you're coming to the Mac from Windows, I'd recommend Switching to the Mac over the previous suggestions.
QUOTE Thanks
MontyMo

MontyMo is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 2GHz 8GB RAM 750GB Hard Disk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef_eam View Post
I can't recommend this one enough. It is an extremely good book. Mac OS X Snow Leopard: The Missing Manual - O'Reilly Media
I just ordered this book. Glad to hear other like it.

Monty

15" MacBook Pro
QUOTE Thanks
smol3404

smol3404 is on a distinguished road

Thank you all for the advice, i was thinking Peachpit: Apple Training Series: Mac OS X Support Essentials v10.6: A Guide to Supporting and Troubleshooting Mac OS X v10.6 Snow Leopard but was wondering if it's worth getting certified.
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

Depends. Here where I live, certified Apple techs can basically name their own salary because good ones are quite scarce. In let's say New York City, not so much.

It's not easy to get certified, but given Apple's popularity I'd say its as close to a guaranteed lifetime job (for as long as you want to do it) as anything this side of government work (and a lot more fun).
QUOTE Thanks
NewTekBuzz

NewTekBuzz is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 27" iMac (intel i7) - 2TB - 8GB Ram

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef_eam View Post
I second this one... i have heard good things about it
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« wiping hard drive | Need to sync with Iphone using a crossover software »