New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Hello and help

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

gsaps

gsaps is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook pro, Ipod touch, Iphone4, iPad2

I'm a new convert to mac and am finding it a little hard to find my feet so hello to all the members and thanks in advance for what i hope will be an invaluable source of hand-holding.

my first question is probably a basic one, i'm using safari browser and cant get to view it as a full screen layout, is this doable?

thanks very much

grant
QUOTE Thanks
robduckyworth

robduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC

well, you drag the bottom right corner to fit the screen, then the mac remembers it for next time. when you press the green button it should switch between after.

you cant currently do it completely full screen, like windows explorer does.

If you find a post helpful, don't forget to use the reputation system (top right of post.)
Join us in the IRC! How? Add me on Steam, Origin or PSN (Vita): robduckyworth
QUOTE Thanks
MontyMo

MontyMo is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 2GHz 8GB RAM 750GB Hard Disk

Today is my 2nd day with my first Mac and I may get flack here.
The first thing I installed on my Mac was Google Chrome. IT is fast lightweight. I've been using it on the PC side fior a long time.

Monty

15" MacBook Pro
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

mrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i7 (2011) 10.10, iPhone6, iPad Air, AppleTV2

Start here

Particularly number 6. It'll help get you into the swing of things.

In specific to your question the green button will make the windo big enough to see the full width of the page. If you must make the browser bigger there are third party tools that allow similar functionality to the 'maximise' button on windows or just move and size the window by clicking and dragging with the bottom-right corner of the window.

It's down to personal preference but the 'Mac way' is just to have the windows as big as required for the content displayed (mostly).

External hard disk acquisition addict - but admitting the problem is the first step to a robust backup

Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - top right of this post
QUOTE Thanks
gsaps

gsaps is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook pro, Ipod touch, Iphone4, iPad2

thanks for the replies, i'm getting there
QUOTE Thanks
wolfpuppies3

wolfpuppies3 is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: 15" MB Pro, 2.66 i7 ; 11 MBA 1.8GZ i7; 13"MBA 2GZ i7 8 GB mem 512GB SSD, 2 iPad3s, 1 iPad Mini

and zooming in with your magic mouse.
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

mrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i7 (2011) 10.10, iPhone6, iPad Air, AppleTV2

Foil hats at the ready.........

External hard disk acquisition addict - but admitting the problem is the first step to a robust backup

Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - top right of this post
QUOTE Thanks
IvanLasston

IvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2

Yes Google tracks you - but it doesn't need chrome to do it. Don't bother with any google product, if you are afraid of this. Don't bother with google search either. Ensure you have all javascript, java and all cross scripting blocked. Make sure you store no cookies. There are many other sites that do the same thing. Any toolbar installation, or any program installation helps them track you - but the key point is YOU DON'T NEED TO INSTALL SOFTWARE TO BE TRACKED.

This site alone has javascript and cookies from google, doubleclick, inetinteractive just to name a few. The scripting is tracking you - and if you doubt it is I get adds served from Colorado ski resorts on this site.

How to Browse the Internet Anonymously - wikiHow
Note that you need to turn off Java, Flash, and pretty much any other extension to any browser as there are plenty of ways to track you with the extensions as well.

I still use Chrome.
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chas_m View Post
Google's Chrome is not a web browser: it is spyware. Specifically, it is a data-mining tool that tracks *everything* you do (not just browsing) disguised as a web browser.

If you're willing to trade all your remaining privacy for a 1% speed increase, I'd hate to think what you'd do for a Klondike bar.
Conspiracy theory no?

I challenge you to provide evidence for this claim. In fact, I'll help you on your search. Download something like HTTPScoop and run it while Chrome is running. Browse the web in Chrome and watch what HTTPScoop picks up. I will guarantee you that the HTTP requests being made by Chrome aren't any different from any other browser. If you do see differences, I'm willing to bet it's because either Instant or search suggestions are turned on, both of which are easily turned off by the user.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
IvanLasston

IvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2

I use little snitch - and Chrome chirps it as much as Firefox. As for Apple - little snitch shows my Mac going out to a bunch of Apple services like locationd and time, and update as well as facetime.

Again - if you are on the web you are being tracked by someone - unless you anonymize like my link says. Then there is little chance of tracking - but who goes through that kind of hassle?

I'm not disagreeing with you - Google is tracking you. I am saying they don't need Chrome to do it. So either you take the precautions (see how deep that rabbit hole is - install noscript and cookie safe on Firefox and see just how much tracking stuff is on a single web page) or you accept you are being tracked.
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

If LS and an HTTP monitoring tool don't show any peculiar traffic, what else would be required to demonstrate that Chrome is no different than any other browser? Do you have any evidence from LS that would support your claim?

I agree that Google's business is built on the collection of data and I've never seen Google try to hide that fact. That said, it would be unfair to assume that all of their products are geared to one goal especially when there is no proof that this is the case. It's very possible that Google had intentions beyond data collection for building Chrome.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
the8thark

the8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrplow View Post
Start here

Particularly number 6. It'll help get you into the swing of things.
I agree with that link it's a must read.
But also take a look at this link:
A Switchers guide to recommended free Apps to download to your new Mac
It has a lot of useful apps in worth looking into. Another must read topic in my opinion.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Legacy Paranoia | Great Apple Service »