New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Happy but HELP!

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Greg55

Greg55 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 21.5" iMac | iPod nano | iPhone 4

After waiting over a year I just bought my first iMac. The 21.5" and I think I will really like it, I'mm 55 here and not too computer savy. I have a couple of questions, I am so use to using Windows system so with that being said how do I create a favorite or bookmark of a webpage? Also when I went to certain websites it said that it had a missing plug in, how do I get this solved and the last question is when I went to You Tube it said I needed to download the Adobe player update. With all this being said, it seems like I am a hopeless case! Appreciate all the help anyone can give. This is the most awesome computer, my wife bought it for me for our anniversary present!
QUOTE Thanks
alexsd123

alexsd123 has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro 13"

The bookmarks should be on the menu bar. Click it and your bookmarks show up along with an option to add a bookmark.

You can click bookmark menu, which will put it under the bookmarks tab, or you can click bookmark bar which will put it right below where you enter the URL (by the Apple, Popular etc).

Go here for the adobe flash latest download. Download it and restart your browser.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

You need to download and install:

Flip4Mac - this one will let you play windows media files - use the WMV player Free button on the left side

Perian - install this one while you're at it - this one will play just about all the rest of the media files you run into.

And yes, you'll need to install Flash, just like you would on any new Windows machine.

(About the same age I was when I got my first Mac, so even us old farts can figure it out, no sweat.)

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
RavingMac

RavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 4GB Mac Mini 2012, 13" MBA, 15" MacBook Pro OSX 10.7, 32 GB iPhone 3GS, iPad2 64gb 3G

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg55 View Post
After waiting over a year I just bought my first iMac. The 21.5" and I think I will really like it, I'mm 55 here and not too computer savy. I have a couple of questions, I am so use to using Windows system so with that being said how do I create a favorite or bookmark of a webpage? Also when I went to certain websites it said that it had a missing plug in, how do I get this solved and the last question is when I went to You Tube it said I needed to download the Adobe player update. With all this being said, it seems like I am a hopeless case! Appreciate all the help anyone can give. This is the most awesome computer, my wife bought it for me for our anniversary present!
Bookmarks are a function of the Web Browser, not Operating System. By this I mean that Firefox or Opera works the same on OSX as it does on Windows. So, what you are really asking (I believe) is how do I save bookmarks in Safari (assuming that is the web browser you are using).
I don't use Safari much and I am on my iPad right now so I can't acces the menus but there is a pull down menu choice to bookmark pages. Fairly easy to find, I just can't show you right now.
As far as the Flash update (Adobe), it should have given you a link to click to do the update.
Anyway, welcome and enjoy your new Mac. We will be glad to help as much as we can.

EDIT: You guys obviously type faster than I do.

I've always wanted to be smart, handsome and modest. But, I guess I'll have to be satisfied with two out of three . . .
QUOTE Thanks
Greg55

ok guys thanks, what about the "missing plug-ins" on some of the websites?
QUOTE Thanks
alexsd123

alexsd123 has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro 13"

Quote:
Adobe - Install a different version of Adobe Flash Player

That's the "plug-in" you are missing.

Refer to bobtomay's post for other forms of media.
QUOTE Thanks
RavingMac

RavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 4GB Mac Mini 2012, 13" MBA, 15" MacBook Pro OSX 10.7, 32 GB iPhone 3GS, iPad2 64gb 3G

Quote:
I guess we would have to know which sites and/or what plug-ins.

I've always wanted to be smart, handsome and modest. But, I guess I'll have to be satisfied with two out of three . . .
QUOTE Thanks
Greg55

Flying Giants: The Giant Scale Airplane Community is one of them.

It's working now, it may just have been the site.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Using IPad for transfering | Noobish Questions. »