New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Using IPad for transfering

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

clarmar

clarmar is on a distinguished road

I ended up with my daughter's Imac. Can I transfer my Itunes library from my old mini by syncing to the Ipad and then connecting the Ipad to my Imac?
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: Mid-2012 MBP (16GB, 1TB HD), BenQ second monitor, iPhone 5s 32GB, iPad Air 2 64GB

I doubt that would work, and even if it did it would a HUGE amount of unnecessary work.

A much easier method would be to simply connect the Mac mini and the iMac together by firewire cable and use Target disk mode to "mount" the mini as an external hard drive on the iMac. You would then simply copy the entire Music folder from one machine to the other in the same place (Users/[youraccount]) (this will replace the existing Music folder on the iMac, but that sounds like what you want).

Once that's done, simply launch iTunes *holding down the Option key* and when asked to locate the library, point it to your newly-imported iTunes library (inside the Music folder. From then on the imported iTunes library is the default and you would use iTunes as normal.
QUOTE Thanks
clarmar

clarmar is on a distinguished road

Thank you so much, I will print your answer and go in search of a cable to connect my 2 macs, Oh! how sweet is that!
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: Mid-2012 MBP (16GB, 1TB HD), BenQ second monitor, iPhone 5s 32GB, iPad Air 2 64GB

Depending on the size of the library, you might be able to buy a USB "thumb" drive and copy it that way as well. I see that 8GB drives are routinely on sale for ~$30 these days.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Quick Anti-virus question | Happy but HELP! »