New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Another noob questions...where are pictures stored?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Phacade

Phacade will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 21" 3.6GHz Core i5 iMac, 12GB Crucial RAM

This seriously can't be a difficult one. I managed to mount my old hard drive and copy entire directories out of it into iPhoto. Cool! So all my Vacation pictures from 2004, for example, were in a "HK2004" folder. I copy it to iPhoto and its got a new event showing "HK2004". Awesome!

But I can't find any of these pictures when I go into the Mac Hard drive. Huh? I mean, I can see them all in iPhoto and can even add more photos to that event (not easily since it tries to create a new event but within two clicks I can get it in)...but where are the actual photos saved? I'd like to be able to go into a directory and see them.

...or lets say I find a photo online I want to add into this directory, I'm rather unsure where to save it after I've clicked on it. Do I need to create a new folder for downloads?

21" 3.6GHz Core i5 iMac "Sputnik" ■ 12GB Crucial RAM ■ Monsoon flat-panel speakers ■ HP P1006 LaserJet printer ■ Full Keyboard ■ Canoscan 9000F flatbed scanner ■ ...and then of course me (being a narcissist, I consider this to be the most important mod).
QUOTE Thanks
robduckyworth

robduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC

in your iphoto library. go to Users - pictures - iPhoto library (right click on it, show package contents) then in a folder called originals. don't go changing anything inside this iPhoto Library, your better off importing them through the app itself.

maybe someone has a better technique, but thats how i do it.

If you find a post helpful, don't forget to use the reputation system (top right of post.)
Join us in the IRC! How? Add me on Steam, Origin or PSN (Vita): robduckyworth
QUOTE Thanks
Buzzard2010

Buzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really nice
Mac Specs: iMac 21.5" i3 500gb HDD 4gb RAM OSX 10.9.2 - iPhone 5s 16gb

That is certainly the easiest way I know of

- Simon

If you have been helped, don't forget to use the Reputation system at the bottom of the users profile.
May 2011
Nominated: March 2011 & April 2011
QUOTE Thanks
Phacade

Ah. Cool! I was almost ready to keep a "hard copy" on my old Windows box. Thanks!

21" 3.6GHz Core i5 iMac "Sputnik" ■ 12GB Crucial RAM ■ Monsoon flat-panel speakers ■ HP P1006 LaserJet printer ■ Full Keyboard ■ Canoscan 9000F flatbed scanner ■ ...and then of course me (being a narcissist, I consider this to be the most important mod).
QUOTE Thanks
Chef_eam

Chef_eam is a jewel in the roughChef_eam is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: iMac 27" 2.66GHz i5, 1TB HDD, 12GB RAM, OS X 10.7.3, iPod Classic 160GB,iPad 1 64GB Wi-fi, iPhone 4S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phacade View Post
Ah. Cool! I was almost ready to keep a "hard copy" on my old Windows box. Thanks!
I would keep a backup of them on DVD just in case. You never know what is going to happen, and it would suck to have a crash and loose all the photos you can't replace.
QUOTE Thanks
didymus

didymus will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: Model Identifier: iMac9,1 Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo Processor Speed: 2.66 GHz

You've discovered why I don't use iPhoto any more I like to know where my images are! And, unless you use iPhoto as your photo store and use software, like Aperture, that links to the iPhoto database, you continually have to save files to other directories that you can manipulate safely. It's a tedious process - so, no iPhoto for me and no Aperture either. I'll stick with programs that let me keep my files where I want 'em.
QUOTE Thanks
Chef_eam

Chef_eam is a jewel in the roughChef_eam is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: iMac 27" 2.66GHz i5, 1TB HDD, 12GB RAM, OS X 10.7.3, iPod Classic 160GB,iPad 1 64GB Wi-fi, iPhone 4S

You can choose to have iPhoto/Aperture not import the photos into the library, but only reference them from a directory structure that you set up elsewhere. Then you can just use iPhoto/Aperture as a front end to access them all in one place, set up albums, etc., while keeping them separate from the library structure.
QUOTE Thanks
Phacade

Really? Can I make that decision now (retroactively) since iPhoto already has them in its own little library? What are the steps to do this? I like the idea of storing them in their own little seperate area.

QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by didymus View Post
You've discovered why I don't use iPhoto any more I like to know where my images are! And, unless you use iPhoto as your photo store and use software, like Aperture, that links to the iPhoto database, you continually have to save files to other directories that you can manipulate safely. It's a tedious process - so, no iPhoto for me and no Aperture either. I'll stick with programs that let me keep my files where I want 'em.
Why bother? Do you really need to know specifically where your images are? I mean, if you've got a dozen different photo apps, I can see where that would be helpful. But if all of your manipulation is done in iPhone, I'd rather iPhoto handles them. iPhoto not only stores the photos, it also stores revisions and the original, so by tending to them and keeping you from manipulating the files, they're actually safer. And of course, if you occasionally need to get them out of iPhoto, it's a simple drag and drop.

I used to obsess over managing my own files my way - until I realized how tedious that was. When I let go of it, it was one less thing to stress over. And I haven't lost a single photo or had any trouble sharing my photos in the way that I want to.

Now, if you're seriously into multiple photo editors, I can see how that can be cumbersome - but if you are, you probably have no use for iPhoto anyway.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
Oneironaut

Oneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really nice
Mac Specs: 21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB

Even if you let iPhoto handle your photos, you can still navigate to them when you want to attach or upload them somewhere, and if you want to simply copy all your photos to someplace else, you can just open the iPhoto Library folder in the Finder, as explained above, copy and paste them wherever you like.

But if you really don't want iPhoto handling your pictures, just keep them in the Pictures folder in your Documents.
QUOTE Thanks
MightyGem

MightyGem is a jewel in the roughMightyGem is a jewel in the roughMightyGem is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. White MacBook, 10.8.5. iPhone 3GS.

Quote:
and if you want to simply copy all your photos to someplace else, you can just open the iPhoto Library folder in the Finder,
There is simply no need to do that. Just select them from the any iPhoto window and just drag bthem into a Finder window. If you want to resize them then you can go via the Export option.

I would strongly advise against going into the iPhoto file structure via Finder and start messing with your pictures there. It can cause all sorts of problems.
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2009 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

MightyGem has saved me a post.

Everyone I've **EVER** met, online or off, who complained about losing photos in iPhoto eventually admitted that they MUCKED AROUND inside the iPhoto library, and caused their own problems.

You can do *anything you want* in iPhoto, but you have to do it **within iPhoto**, not in the Finder. Unless you enjoy losing pictures, I'd take that to heart.
QUOTE Thanks
malc1

malc1 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef_eam View Post
You can choose to have iPhoto/Aperture not import the photos into the library, but only reference them from a directory structure that you set up elsewhere. Then you can just use iPhoto/Aperture as a front end to access them all in one place, set up albums, etc., while keeping them separate from the library structure.
How is this done. I already have my photos in Elements but the slideshow feature doesn't work in the Mac version so I just want iphoto to reference my images without importing them and duplicating hard drive space.
QUOTE Thanks
Phacade

Okay, lets take this from another angle. Suppose one was willing to waste the time. Could I go through iPhoto and delete all my photos (I have them backed up anyway), and then save them all (in seperate folders of course depending on cars/family/vacation/etc) inside a new pictures folder I'd create somewhere else under my user account.

Could I then "import" these pictures from the new folder I created? (thinking outloud here) Would I be able to add photos to this directory? Or is all this more trouble than its worth?

End result: I want to be able to add new photos to each event at will and be able to edit them occasionally (probably in Pixelmator) or email them out or post one occasionally online.

QUOTE Thanks
MightyGem

MightyGem is a jewel in the roughMightyGem is a jewel in the roughMightyGem is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. White MacBook, 10.8.5. iPhone 3GS.

Quote:
Suppose one was willing to waste the time. Could I go through iPhoto and delete all my photos
Yes. It would take about 30 seconds. Main iPhoto window, Select All, delete.

Quote:
then save them all (in seperate folders of course depending on cars/family/vacation/etc) inside a new pictures folder I'd create somewhere else under my user account.
Yes, just drag them from your backup.

Quote:
Could I then "import" these pictures from the new folder I created?
Import into iPhoto? Of course.

Quote:
I want to be able to add new photos to each event at will
You can't add photos to an Event in iPhoto, but you can merge two Events to make one.

Quote:
edit them occasionally (probably in Pixelmator)
To edit a photo in iPhoto, you double click it. In iPhoto Preferences, you can choose which Application that photo opens in for editing.

Quote:
or email them out or post one occasionally online.
You can email direct from iPhoto and post online direct to Facebook and the like.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Looking to switch, but... | MacBook Pro backup conundrum »