New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Clearing things up before my first Mac purchase...

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Joey Sarks

Joey Sarks is on a distinguished road

Just asking some quick questions before I ditch Windows for good, hopefully.

1. Does yanking the memory and drive out of a 2011 Macbook Pro void the warranty? I'll prolly switch out the hdd for an sdd pretty quick after purchase, and the memory might get an upgrade too.

2. Prices for ssd and memory seem decent now, would it be easier to just pay what Mac is asking for at this point? (since I have no idea what "good" is for memory and drives, i've been buying Dell for 20 years)

....and I had more questions but it's 7am and i'm on no sleep so having trouble remembering lol, ill pop some more up when I think of em.
QUOTE Thanks
robduckyworth

robduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC

changing the HD and RAM dont void the warranty no. but "yanking" it out might break something that does

If you find a post helpful, don't forget to use the reputation system (top right of post.)
Join us in the IRC! How? Add me on Steam, Origin or PSN (Vita): robduckyworth
QUOTE Thanks
Buzzard2010

Buzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really nice
Mac Specs: iMac 21.5" i3 500gb HDD 4gb RAM OSX 10.9.2 - iPhone 5s 16gb

As Rob says "Yanking" it out might not be the best idea

It won't void the warranty as the RAM and HDD are "user replaceable".
I wouldn't get it straight from Apple either as they seem to like slapping a huge premium on upgrades. Go to Crucial or somewhere similar to get the upgrades yourself.

Hope this helps
Bring on more questions

- Simon

If you have been helped, don't forget to use the Reputation system at the bottom of the users profile.
May 2011
Nominated: March 2011 & April 2011
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Memory and hard drives are user replaceable, however, any damage incurred by you in their removal and swap out, is not covered under the warranty.
QUOTE Thanks
Joey Sarks

You guys are funny lol no I obviously am not going to yank it out, I will gently sweet talk it out and cradle it to the table.
BTW from what i've heard iTunes is the best way to organize your music on Macs. Now I have 3 kinds of music (dj tracks, regular music like radio stuff, and dj sets) but I don't wanna keep em all in that music folder cuz thats alot of extra stuff to sort thru just to make dj playlists for Serato. Can you make folders and seperate them or something cuz i'd find it really irritating having to run thru 10k extra files just to make some dj bins.
QUOTE Thanks
Buzzard2010

Buzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really nice
Mac Specs: iMac 21.5" i3 500gb HDD 4gb RAM OSX 10.9.2 - iPhone 5s 16gb

You can really easily create playlists in iTunes that are all stored in a side bar to the left!

- Simon

If you have been helped, don't forget to use the Reputation system at the bottom of the users profile.
May 2011
Nominated: March 2011 & April 2011
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2009 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

You can also have multiple iTunes libraries, which is what I'd suggest for you. Just launch iTunes with the option key held down, and you can create or switch libraries. The last selected library becomes the default on if you don't hold down option until you change it again.
QUOTE Thanks
Joey Sarks

Quote:
Originally Posted by chas_m View Post
You can also have multiple iTunes libraries, which is what I'd suggest for you. Just launch iTunes with the option key held down, and you can create or switch libraries. The last selected library becomes the default on if you don't hold down option until you change it again.
Sweet that's what I was looking to hear, thanks for the info
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Is this a good deal on an iMac i7? | Toolbar Buttons Changed Color »