Talking What MacBook should I get?
    I'm getting a job in the summer, and I'll make enough for a MacBook. What MacBook should I get? Should I get the regular MacBook or the MacBook Air? I can't afford the Pro. I'm thinking about getting a MacBook (regular) because I need a DVD drive and all of the ports. But I like the MacBook Air because it's really thin, but it doesn't have a drive or all of the necessary ports. Which do you recommend? List the pros and cons of both if you can. Thanks!

Lake Mary, Florida
    15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD
    I think it all comes down to this - will the machine complement another computer or replace it altogether?

If you just need a portable machine to complement a desktop, then the MacBook Air is a good choice.

If the machine will be more "general pupose", then the MacBook is a better choice.

Also, do note that the MacBook will be the sturdier of the two choices, less likely to get scratches and dents. So, if you're a student, I would probably lean in that direction.
    Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!

Seattle, WA
    13" MBP - Mid 2012 - i7 / iPad Air / iPhone 5s / ATV3
    Something to keep in mind with the MacBook Air is that whatever RAM you order with it is all you will ever get. You cannot upgrade RAM in a MacBook Air after the fact because it is soldered directly onto the motherboard. Also, the SSDs use a different standard so you cannot pickup an off the shelf SSD to upgrade the storage if you need more later on.

The MacBook and MacBook Pros on the other hand are easy to upgrade RAM and storage so you can get 2GB or 4GB now and upgrade to 8GB or more later on.

Food for thought.

Virginia, USA
    15" MB Pro, 2.66 i7 ; 11 MBA 1.8GZ i7; 13"MBA 2GZ i7 8 GB mem 512GB SSD, 2 iPad3s, 1 iPad Mini
    Plus one to
    CWA's advice. The MacBook is sturdier and more versatile, just not as cool looking (or as expensive) as the MacBook Air.

25" iMac 3.06 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo iPhone 4
    You could get a refurbished MBP and not have quite as much cost

MacBook Pro - Apple Store (U.S.)
     24" iMac, 3.06GHz C2D, 4GB RAM, 1TB HDD, 10.6.8
     2011 Mac mini, 2.7Ghz i7, 8GB RAM, 750 GB HDD, 10.7.3
     iPad3 64GB, iPad2 32 GB
     iPhone 4, 32GB  Airport Extreme 5

Victoria, BC
    Mid-2012 MBP (16GB, 1TB HD), Monoprice 24-inch second monitor, iPhone 5s 32GB, iPad Air 2 64GB
    It also depends on your needs, which you haven't really specified, but I'm going to second (third?) CWA's advice as well.

Thread Information