New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Do you guys use Hotmail or GMail?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

alexjholland

alexjholland is on a distinguished road

Hey

I just got an iMac to replace my Windows desktop. In conjunction with my existing Macbook, I am now a fully-fledged appleboy!

I have setup Mail.app, which seems decent, but does not allow me to use custom folders from Hotmail. I have ascertained nothing can be done about this.

I have setup an email account with GMail as an experiment. The only Microsoft thing I will use now is my XBox, which - I believe - can be moved onto another email account.

GMail seems cleaner, better equipped and works with Mail. Both aesthetically and in terms of features, it seems a better match for Apple software - this email account is many years old!

I'm not sure what IMAP does, but it seems better than Hotmail's POP!

What do you think? Should I make the jump and ditch Hotmail for GMail?
QUOTE Thanks
jptsr1

jptsr1 is on a distinguished road

I use both. Unfortunately the mail program on my new MacBook pro won't support multiple gmail accounts so I use outlook.
QUOTE Thanks
robduckyworth

robduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC

I have both. i wish I could migrate them all to my gmail as it has a better name, but they both work exactly the same to me, and i forward them both to Mail.

i use my hotmail for spam now. anything I care about goes through Gmail.

If you find a post helpful, don't forget to use the reputation system (top right of post.)
Join us in the IRC! How? Add me on Steam, Origin or PSN (Vita): robduckyworth
QUOTE Thanks
alexjholland

alexjholland is on a distinguished road

I specifically want one email address. Just one!
QUOTE Thanks
McYukon

McYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP i7 2.7 GHz 15" Matte - 16 GB RAM - 120 GB Intel SSD - 500 GB DataDoubler Mac OS 10.9

Quote:
Originally Posted by jptsr1 View Post
I use both. Unfortunately the mail program on my new MacBook pro won't support multiple gmail accounts so I use outlook.
Huh? I have 4 Gmail IMAP accounts active in Apple Mail without a problem.

Use the reputation system if a post helps you!
Mac Forums IRC Channel - Help build it by hanging out with us
The next sentence is true. The previous sentence is false.
QUOTE Thanks
jptsr1

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexjholland View Post
I specifically want one email address. Just one!
If I had to pick one it would be Gmail.
QUOTE Thanks
jptsr1

Quote:
Originally Posted by McYukon View Post
Huh? I have 4 Gmail IMAP accounts active in Apple Mail without a problem.
Is thee a tutorial somewhere on how to ads additional ones? I haven't been able to get it to add accounts beyond my first one.
(sorry about the hijack OP)
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4 and OS X.10

Neither just simply secure enough:-

Microsoft Hotmail accounts hacked into and posted online | Mail Online

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
schweb

schweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2

Quote:
What? I have multiple Gmail accounts on in Mail just fine.

schweb | community leader
flickr » facebook » twitter » tumblr » google+ » about.me

Mac-Forums: On Twitter | On Facebook | On Flickr

QUOTE Thanks
jptsr1

Quote:
Originally Posted by schweb View Post
What? I have multiple Gmail accounts on in Mail just fine.
wasn't working for me at first but its letting me add additional accounts now. thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
MikeM

MikeM has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 13" MBP - Mid 2012 - i7 / iPad Air / iPhone 5s / ATV3

I primarily use hotmail (I've used it for a long time and I don't like changing and then having to get everyone I know to stop using an old address) and the fact that I can only access it with either POP3 or the web page from my Mac is the only real annoyance I have with it at the moment (and I fully understand it's Microsoft's fault, not Apple's).

There is a program called mBox Mail for Mac that I am trying out that gives you imap access to your hotmail account and all your folders. (If you are a Windows user and use outlook, think of it as a 3rd party version of Windows Live Outlook Connector) I finally got it working today (It was having issues with my firewall I think) and it's nice. Only thing is that it's not free but I think that I'll give in and purchase it since it's looking like the only way I'll be able to access hotmail from a mail program.

-MikeM
QUOTE Thanks
Sonicjet

Sonicjet is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2011 13' Macbook Pro i5

It's kinda funny, I saw a chart. There is a direct relationship between Gmail users and College education, higher you go, the more likely you are to use Gmail. Also the older you are the more likely you are to use hotmail or aol. (shudder)
QUOTE Thanks
MikeM

MikeM has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 13" MBP - Mid 2012 - i7 / iPad Air / iPhone 5s / ATV3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonicjet View Post
It's kinda funny, I saw a chart. There is a direct relationship between Gmail users and College education, higher you go, the more likely you are to use Gmail. Also the older you are the more likely you are to use hotmail or aol. (shudder)
I think it's because Gmail is newer so people getting into computers for the first time are going with the option that is new and has good word of mouth.

The 'older' people on hotmail and AOL are not there because it's old fart friendly but more likely because they have established history with the address and have distributed it to many people / colleagues / online shopping / etc...

Switching to a new e-mail address is like moving to a new house. you need to change all your bills, make sure your family and friends change to the new address and unless there is a truly beneficial reason for switching I don't see the need.

-MikeM
QUOTE Thanks
ThePope43

ThePope43 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2010 17" MBP |core i7 2.66|4gb ddr3|500gb 7200rpm|snow leopard|

I just like Gmail because it's IMAP and I hate hotmail because it's POP3

Don't forget the +reputation button on the left!
QUOTE Thanks
McYukon

McYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP i7 2.7 GHz 15" Matte - 16 GB RAM - 120 GB Intel SSD - 500 GB DataDoubler Mac OS 10.9

Quote:
Is thee a tutorial somewhere on how to ads additional ones? I haven't been able to get it to add accounts beyond my first one.
(sorry about the hijack OP)
Easy enough, in Mail go to the File menu and click on "Add Account…"
Follow the prompts and your done.

Use the reputation system if a post helps you!
Mac Forums IRC Channel - Help build it by hanging out with us
The next sentence is true. The previous sentence is false.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Mail going to wrong mailbox | Finder »