New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

External Hard Drive and Virus Control

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

andy.millard

andy.millard is on a distinguished road

OK, I just bought my first iMAc Friday night. I am getting used to it. The part that I really can not get a handle on is Virus, Maleware, etc. I have all of my music on an external hard-drive. Should I scan it before I hook into it or am i safe?

andy.millard
iMac:3.02 i3 4 mg ram 500g
MacBook Pro 13: 2.5 i5 4 mg ram 500g
QUOTE Thanks
McYukon

McYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP i7 2.7 GHz 15" Matte - 16 GB RAM - 120 GB Intel SSD - 500 GB DataDoubler Mac OS 10.9

Take a look here first, and then we'll gladly answer any more questions you have.
Official antivirus, malware, and firewall FAQ

Use the reputation system if a post helps you!
Mac Forums IRC Channel - Help build it by hanging out with us
The next sentence is true. The previous sentence is false.
QUOTE Thanks
andy.millard

I read that but I guess that with all of the viruses and stuff that I had on my regular PC, its just kinda hard to get used to the fact that iMacs are pretty much immune to that stuff. Although it was one of my main reasons for getting an iMac, i just wanted to make sure I understood. Thats all. Is kinda like one of those internal battles in my brain and I just want to protect my investment.

andy.millard
QUOTE Thanks
McYukon

McYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP i7 2.7 GHz 15" Matte - 16 GB RAM - 120 GB Intel SSD - 500 GB DataDoubler Mac OS 10.9

I understand completely, but I wouldn't worry about those things if I was you.
I've been using Mac for 6+ years now and haven't had any virus/malware on my computer ever!

Use the reputation system if a post helps you!
Mac Forums IRC Channel - Help build it by hanging out with us
The next sentence is true. The previous sentence is false.
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy.millard View Post
I read that but I guess that with all of the viruses and stuff that I had on my regular PC, its just kinda hard to get used to the fact that iMacs are pretty much immune to that stuff.
Immune is not the right word. Virus could be written for the Mac, none are out there in the wild, but at least one Trojan does exist online. The fact is none have been written that have been released or have harmed the community at large.

In the end though, you're pretty safe.

QUOTE Thanks
andy.millard

ok, thanks folks. I plan on getting another external hard drive soon. I appreciate you help.

andy.millard
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS 10.10.1

And should there ever be a Mac OS X virus, the news will be trumpeted around the world by the victorious media so we will al be aware of it. Never ever give up your password to download anything!

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Mac software to recover deleted files from mobile phone? | Music plays when Safari opens »