New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Macbook Pro vs iMac

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Kragh

Kragh is on a distinguished road

Ive looked around the forum and didnt seem to find the answer i was looking for, so here goes:

Im looking for a new mac. Ive got a 2 year old macbook pro, so portability is not an issue. What i need the new mac for is Logic Studio, so its all about hardware. But as far as i can see, the Pro 13 inch 2.7 i7 dualcore is much more powerful than the almost similar priced iMac 21,5 inch 3.2 i3 ?

Is this really true ?.. What dont i know ?
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

MacWorld Magazine routinely compares benchmarks of the various offerings from Apple. You can view their list of machines and the capability of each and how well they score.

Generally you'll get the most bang for your buck by buying an iMac. Of course the trade off is the loss of portability.
QUOTE Thanks
jeffk

jeffk is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 27" iMac, 17" MacBook Pro, 13" MacBook, iPhone 3G, iPhone 4, AppleTV2 (x2), iPad1

Don't forget that the MacBook Pro line just had a hardware refresh. The iMacs haven't had one in a while and are due. If I were in your position. I would hold off until they refresh the iMacs. They're sure to get a performance boost when that happens. The value will be a lot better then.

Also, the 21" display is a significant improvement over a 13". Not enough to justify the pricing when compared to the newly refreshed MBPs, but it IS a difference.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Lost Mac | Which one would you choose? »