New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Importing contacts from salvaged PC hard drive?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

thoma011

thoma011 is on a distinguished road

Hello!
My family's PC recently died, so I took the opportunity to FINALLY convert them to Mac. I was able to salvage the HD from the old computer, and have pulled documents, pics, and music files off the drive, but now I need to know how to import the contacts into Mail.
I have the HD in an external enclosure via USB, so I can access most of what I need, but I'm not sure quite how to do this, since I don't have Parallels or VMware installed.
Any ideas?
Thanks in advance!
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

What format are the contacts in? In other words, were they in Outlook? Outlook Express? Or another program?
QUOTE Thanks
philisd

philisd is on a distinguished road

I'm a newbie and I have the same issue with trying to import contacts from an external HD (PC died--decided to move to Mac). I was using Outlook Express before. When I contacted Apple last week they said since Express was no longer supported i would have to pay $69 for support to import them. I have an Imac...what info am I leaving out???
QUOTE Thanks
jeffk

jeffk is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 27" iMac, 17" MacBook Pro, 13" MacBook, iPhone 3G, iPhone 4, AppleTV2 (x2), iPad1

Are you able to locate a file with a .pab extension on the old drive? This would be your Outlook Express Personal Address Book file. The Mail program supports the industry standard vCard (.vcf) format for contacts, so you'll need a way to get them from the .pab to .vcf. If you have access to another Windows PC with Outlook express running on it, you might be able to import your .pab file into it, then using Outlook Express, export your contacts in .vcf format. Then all you need to do is import the vcfs into mail.
QUOTE Thanks
philisd

philisd is on a distinguished road

I don't have a .pab file ext. I do see an administrator .wab ext. but when I click on it, the dialog box says there's no program to support opening it. I don't have another PC that I used Outlook Express on and the dead one is ...well, dead.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute

It's a wab file not pab. (Windows Address Book) In any event, without another Windows machine you're not going to be able to convert the addresses and contacts to vcf or csv. Thunderbird can also be used to convert OE contacts and mail but again you need a Windows machine.
QUOTE Thanks
jeffk

jeffk is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 27" iMac, 17" MacBook Pro, 13" MacBook, iPhone 3G, iPhone 4, AppleTV2 (x2), iPad1

a wab may work as well. Check out this site:

Move Outlook Contacts to Address Book :: My First Mac - Help Buying and Getting Started with Your New Mac
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

That method still requires another PC which he says he doesn't have access to.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Force fullscreen video to second display? | Where is the Email ? »