New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

iMac for visually impaired

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Headgash

Headgash is on a distinguished road

Hi. I'm considering getting an iMac, but I'm wondering what the accessibility support is like for the visually impaired. The big 27" screen looks like it will help, but does the OS come with a magnifier and what is it like to use? Currently we use Windows with a 22" screen and ZoomText.

Thanks in advance.
QUOTE Thanks
robduckyworth

robduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC

heres a screenshot of the universal access window:

Attached Images
File Type: png Screen shot 2011-03-17 at 03.10.27.png (202.7 KB, 25 views)

If you find a post helpful, don't forget to use the reputation system (top right of post.)
Join us in the IRC! How? Add me on Steam, Origin or PSN (Vita): robduckyworth
QUOTE Thanks
the8thark

the8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3

And you access the above via the system preferences. And it really helps the vision impaired people out there.

And I would check out the 21.5inch and 27 inch models instore first to see which one is best for you. And tell the Apple staff the computer will be used by vision impaired people and they'll help you pick out the size that is right for you.
QUOTE Thanks
technologist

technologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)

Actually, you might want to look into a Mac mini or a Mac Pro and a separate monitor. Apple's monitors tend to have higher pixel density, which can be a pain even for some normally sighted users.

Don't fixate on the size of the screen itself; compare the resolution and the size of the elements on the screen.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« My first Mac | Symbols showing in text online »