New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Keyboards & Keyboard Shortcuts

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

sierraphotog

sierraphotog is on a distinguished road

Hi, all!! New Mac-mini user with SL installed...

OK, here's the question in a nutshell: I'm using an MS Multimedia keyboard (PC) on this machine, and for the most part it's working perfectly fine. However, none of the keyboard shortcuts I'm used to (Ctrl-C, Ctrl-V, Ctrl-X, etc) work (probably a PC v. Mac thing). Do these exist on Mac?

Also, do I REALLY need a Mac keyboard (Option v. Control keys)?

Thanks!
SteveB
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Actually any USB keyboard will work OK. As for the shortcuts, it's a matter of getting used to what the equivalents are. For example: Control C and Control V on a typical Win keyboard are Cmd C and Cmd V on a Mac keyboard.

Here are the five most commonly used special keys on a Mac, and their Windows keyboard equivalents.

Mac key Windows key

Control Ctrl

Option Alt

Command (the four leaf clover) Windows

Delete Backspace

Return Enter

You can dig around and find a full list on the web. By the way, Apple sells an aluminum wired keyboard for $49.99. You can find them even less expensive slightly used on the OWC website. Here's one for $29.99.
QUOTE Thanks
sierraphotog

sierraphotog is on a distinguished road

chscag, thanks for replying!!

I did some playing around, and I can't get the same functionality on this keyboard by using the alternate keys you suggested. I was able to successfully remap the keys in Word, so I'm not totally lost, but functionality in other programs may take a bit more time to figure out. I'm a HEAVY keyboard select/cut/paster, and it's just too slow to use the mouse for all that. I maintain a number of client websites on Squarespace, for example, and being able to quickly cut/paste/select is critical, and at this point I just can't use the Mac for this stuff. For example, shift-ctrl-rt_arrow (to select the following word) changes all font attributes on the following line rather that just select a word. Gotta figure that one out, too...

I also tried swapping around the alternate (sp) key settings in SysPrefs/Keyboard, but that didn't appear to have any effect on anything (I didn't reboot, so maybe I have to reboot after changing those settings?)...

Thanks, again!
SteveB
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Understand. Time to get a genuine Apple keyboard. Take note of my previous reply.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Double delete in Mail | FaceTime Question »