New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

In a very merry pickle :)

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Confuzzled

Confuzzled is on a distinguished road

So... I'm a recent convert to macs and already have made a mess of my cpu

First I downloaded divx, but decided to get rid of it. Deleted a whole lot of random files marked 'divx'... and now quicktime doesn't work. So I thought I'd download apptrap... didn't realise it only worked before you dragged files to the trash... now I'm not sure whether I got apptrap off my system completely.

Did I also mention that I downloaded Windows Office for Mac- didn't have key. So I downloaded another copy, wasn't sure whether Macs overwrote the previous download so I deleted a file that was installed the first time. Now the new version doesn't work. Also, downloaded an app that searches for duplicate files, but as before- don't know whether that app is totally gone.

So:

1) How can I know whether programs are completely uninstalled? eg: Divx, apptrap, "Duplicate file search"...

2) How to fix possibly missing components of Windows Office and Quicktime?

Complicated enough for you? Any help would be great!
QUOTE Thanks
Jonik

Jonik is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: MBP 15"matt, 2.8GHz, 500GB, 4GB RAM

I'd reinstall the operating system to start fresh.

Secondly, I'd buy office for mac instead of downloading it...
QUOTE Thanks
Sawday

Sawday is a jewel in the roughSawday is a jewel in the roughSawday is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 24" Aluminium, 2.8 GHz, 4Gb RAM. iPad2, iPhone4

'Windows Office for Mac' - Surely some mistake as such a beast doesn't exist!!

Happiness is not getting what you want, but wanting what you get.
QUOTE Thanks
Confuzzled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawday View Post
I can assure you that Microsoft makes Office, Powerpoint etc for Macs

Quote:
I'd reinstall the operating system to start fresh.

Secondly, I'd buy office for mac instead of downloading it...
So, restore factory settings? :O

And yes, the copy of office is paid for over the internet through a discount offer for the company my dad works for.
QUOTE Thanks
Jonik

Jonik is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: MBP 15"matt, 2.8GHz, 500GB, 4GB RAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Confuzzled View Post
I can assure you that Microsoft makes Office, Powerpoint etc for Macs

So, restore factory settings? :O
Well as you've only just changed to mac, and you've done something that'll be quite hard to rectify, a fresh install is probably best IMO.

Do you have a time machine backup of your system?

Quote:
And yes, the copy of office is paid for over the internet through a discount offer for the company my dad works for.
Ah ok. Well I'm not sure how to help with that one now as I own iWork.
QUOTE Thanks
schweb

schweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Confuzzled View Post
Then you need to contact that company and ask them for the product key. They should have emailed it to you if you purchased it online.

schweb | community leader
flickr facebook twitter tumblr google+ about.me

Mac-Forums: On Twitter | On Facebook | On Flickr

QUOTE Thanks
toMACsh

toMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to all
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core 2 Duo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawday View Post

To the OP, it's Microsoft Office for Mac.
QUOTE Thanks
McBie

McBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2013 MBA 13" - OS X 10.10

Also to the OP .... a suggestion ....

Before you start another adventure like that, be sure to read up and do a bit of research on the basics of the OS you are using.
It will be time well spent.

Cheers ... McBie

A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any invention in human history - with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila.
The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude towards the problem. You understand ?
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by McBie View Post
Also to the OP .... a suggestion ....

Before you start another adventure like that, be sure to read up and do a bit of research on the basics of the OS you are using.
It will be time well spent.

Cheers ... McBie
Totally agree with Marc's suggestion hear. Like even for me the other day couldnt dl anything via iTunes bc as i found out later, i trashed 1 Just 1 folder and set my system into confusion. I trashed a Shared folder from Users and the OS didnt know what to do there. So if your Not sure ASk before hand.

IMO i would install Apptrap again as it sits in preferences and is unobtrusive. With AppTrap installed Dragging a App to the trash AppTrap will do the rest, BUT if the App has a uninstaller i suggest to use that . . . .

Cheers

CogFrog Studio's ~ Photography, Apps and Web Development
Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS X.10

As advised Office 20011 product key will have been emailed to Dad's work place so you might ask nicely if he can track it down for you, subject to the company approving you obtaining the software this way.

Then pop your operating system discs into the computer, boot and hold down "C' after the chimes, erase the hard drive and do a clean install. This will wipe everything but at least you will have an up and running system.

You do have the install discs of course?

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
Aqua

Aqua has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro, 2.4GHz Core2 Duo 10.6.8, MacMini

Whenever you order anything from over the net, it's best to make a copy or download it to some sort of external drive, partition or cd (including the email with the product file). That way if you need to reinstall the OS or problems occur then you will be OK.. Being a switcher myself, I found Macs to be different in thier handling and it's much better until you understand it to have Time machine, Carbon Copy Cloner or something of the like..

You also may have to look for your preference files that are associated with the products. Also be careful with the App deletion programs as some delete files that may just have the word mentioned in a file (It's the same in MS world)..

A good free powerful program for searching for and in files is Easyfind.

invincible ignorance is an example of ignorance that can not be removed by any amount of evidence. It's now a widespread form of pollution. (Revised quote) An apple a day, keeps the psychiatrist away.. If you play a Windows install CD backwards it has satanic verses
QUOTE Thanks
Sawday

Sawday is a jewel in the roughSawday is a jewel in the roughSawday is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 24" Aluminium, 2.8 GHz, 4Gb RAM. iPad2, iPhone4

Quote:
Originally Posted by toMACsh View Post

To the OP, it's Microsoft Office for Mac.
That's exactly what I was alluding to. I use it myself.

Happiness is not getting what you want, but wanting what you get.
QUOTE Thanks
Confuzzled

Thanks for all the feedback! From everything I've read on the thread..I think I'll just go the factory settings way to fix the lingering files I'm trying to get rid of (And make sure I watch what I download next time).

As for Microsoft Office... I'm hoping I'll be able to reinstall, as I have the product key even though the program isn't on disk.

I am such a Mac-virgin I'm pretty familiar with Windows OS, the only thing that I've found annoying with the Mac so far is that there isn't an automatic uninstall program ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua View Post
Whenever you order anything from over the net, it's best to make a copy or download it to some sort of external drive, partition or cd (including the email with the product file).
Yeah I didn't make a copy... but I DO have the product key. So hopefully I can re-install the program

Quote:
Then pop your operating system discs into the computer, boot and hold down "C' after the chimes, erase the hard drive and do a clean install. This will wipe everything but at least you will have an up and running system.

You do have the install discs of course?
Yes I do... and I haven't really done too much with the cpu yet anyway.. Only downloaded some pretty cool apps for Dashboard like aquarium
QUOTE Thanks
Confuzzled

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexSno View Post
Hehe. Don't worry! Happened to me 2 when i 1st got a MAC (not at this scale but it happens).
Hahaa yeah trying to fix something but managed to make the problem worse, never ending cycle
QUOTE Thanks
Confuzzled

by the way, since i already have this thread up- is it completely ridiculous that my Macbook heats up to 74 deg cel when i websurf? I mean, I'm only on things like trademe and facebook .... !
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« MacBook Pro "froze" solid today, advise please | Speed up Video in iMovie »