New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Magic mouse drops wifi connection?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Milca604

Milca604 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.2 GHz i7

So I went and bought a magic mouse
haven't tried it at my house yet
but when use it at my girlfriend's place the wifi keeps dropping, but once reconnect it'll be fixed for a while and drop again until i turn the magic mouse off

The owner of the place is not around so there's no access to the router
what can i do to fix this problem?

have anyone else encountered the same problem?
QUOTE Thanks
JohnCL

JohnCL is a glorious beacon of lightJohnCL is a glorious beacon of lightJohnCL is a glorious beacon of lightJohnCL is a glorious beacon of lightJohnCL is a glorious beacon of lightJohnCL is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: -->

The magic mouse uses bluetooth, so the router will not even come into play.

2.4GHz 13" rMBP 256gb | 2.5GHz Mac Mini w/ FusionDrive | Mac Pro 3,1 2x 2.8GHz | Dual 2.0GHz PowerMac G5 | 24" ACD | 64GB Verizon iPhone 6 | iPad 32GB Verizon LTE | iPad mini 16GB | Gen 7 Nano | TV1 | TV3
QUOTE Thanks
Raz0rEdge

Raz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 5 & 5S, iPod Nano 7th Gen, iPad 2 16GB WiFi, iPad 3

The Wifi router is most likely operating at 2.4Ghz, the same frequency as the Bluetooth, so depending on how new or old the router is it might be possible that it's picking up interference and not dealing with it properly.

If you had access to the router, you could try changing the WiFi channel to see if it got better..

Regards
QUOTE Thanks
Milca604

Thank you Raz0rEdge
I wasn't sure why bluetooth and wifi would conflict
now i know

thank you

I have no access to the router so... i guess i'll just play with my trackpad
QUOTE Thanks
JohnCL

JohnCL is a glorious beacon of lightJohnCL is a glorious beacon of lightJohnCL is a glorious beacon of lightJohnCL is a glorious beacon of lightJohnCL is a glorious beacon of lightJohnCL is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: -->

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milca604 View Post
Thank you Raz0rEdge
I wasn't sure why bluetooth and wifi would conflict
now i know

thank you

I have no access to the router so... i guess i'll just play with my trackpad
Is it doing the same at your place, or have you been able to try it yet? It is pretty rare that BT and WIFI interfere due to the fact that BT uses very low power signals, and uses spread spectrum frequency hopping which means it uses a different portion of the 2.4GHz band around 1500 times a second. Also, Bluetooth 2.0 + EDR has adaptive frequency hopping which allows it to determine the quality of signal in the band and determine if there is interference from other wireless products.

If you use it on your router and see the same symptoms I would return and get the magic mouse replaced.

2.4GHz 13" rMBP 256gb | 2.5GHz Mac Mini w/ FusionDrive | Mac Pro 3,1 2x 2.8GHz | Dual 2.0GHz PowerMac G5 | 24" ACD | 64GB Verizon iPhone 6 | iPad 32GB Verizon LTE | iPad mini 16GB | Gen 7 Nano | TV1 | TV3
QUOTE Thanks
Milca604

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnCL View Post
Is it doing the same at your place, or have you been able to try it yet? It is pretty rare that BT and WIFI interfere due to the fact that BT uses very low power signals, and uses spread spectrum frequency hopping which means it uses a different portion of the 2.4GHz band around 1500 times a second. Also, Bluetooth 2.0 + EDR has adaptive frequency hopping which allows it to determine the quality of signal in the band and determine if there is interference from other wireless products.

If you use it on your router and see the same symptoms I would return and get the magic mouse replaced.
I just tried it at my house last night for about 3 hours (dlink)
no wifi signal dropping
So I think it's the router's problem (linksys)
i've done some research on the internet and there are people with the same problem with linksys router
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4 and OS X.10

Mighty Mouse and Linskys WAG120N causes no troubles whatsoever. Do not have a hands free Uniden or similar phone nearby?

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
jeffk

jeffk is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 27" iMac, 17" MacBook Pro, 13" MacBook, iPhone 3G, iPhone 4, AppleTV2 (x2), iPad1

Is the WiFi signal very low? If so, the Bluetooth signal may be overshadowing it regardless of exact frequency. As long as it's in the same band (2.4 GHz) it's possible. If the signal coming from the router were stronger (such as if you were closer to it), the issue may stop.
QUOTE Thanks
Milca604

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffk View Post
Is the WiFi signal very low? If so, the Bluetooth signal may be overshadowing it regardless of exact frequency. As long as it's in the same band (2.4 GHz) it's possible. If the signal coming from the router were stronger (such as if you were closer to it), the issue may stop.
thank you
I think you're probably right
the router is upstair and
my iphone can't find the wifi connection most of the time
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Symbols showing in text online | Closing all applications in unison »