New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Mac os x lion

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Minimadj

Minimadj is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2011 21.5" iMac 2.5GHz Core i5

Hi,
I was going to buy a 21.5" iMac tomorrow, but just browsing the apple website and mac forums and have only just realised that OS X Lion is coming this summer!

As it's literally just a few months away, is it advised I wait for Lion? If I don't wait, is it easy to upgrade the os? (this is my first mac). Is going from snow leopard to tiger, just like vista to 7? is it completely different of just minor tweaks?

Many thanks
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

IMO dont wait until Lion comes out bc honestly no one has any idea of exactly it will come out, but yes it indicates that it will be this summer.
Once it comes out  has made it a easy process to install a OS so to answer that, YES it is easy install.

So all in all dont wait bc if you need the iMac now get it now.. If you can wait until Maybe it comes out soon you could be waiting a while

Im sure its a TYPO but going from SL to Tiger (Lion you mean) will be completely different. Go to apple site and have a look at there preview of lion . . . . . It goes down the iOS interface way.

Mac OS Lion Preview
Mac OSX SnowLeopard Preview

Cheers

CogFrog Studio's ~ Photography, Apps and Web Development
Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
QUOTE Thanks
Randy B. Singer

Randy B. Singer is a name known to allRandy B. Singer is a name known to allRandy B. Singer is a name known to allRandy B. Singer is a name known to allRandy B. Singer is a name known to allRandy B. Singer is a name known to allRandy B. Singer is a name known to all

Lion (OS X 10.7) will be a major upgrade from Snow Leopard (OS X 10.6). See:
Apple - Mac OS X Lion
Mac OS X Lion Developer Preview Sports Host of New Features
iOS on the Desktop: Hands-On With the OS X 10.7 Lion Preview — NewsGrange

If things are as they have been for past major upgrades, it will be dead easy to move from Snow Leopard to Lion. However, it is also likely to cost about $130 for the upgrade disk.

Should you wait for Lion?...do you need a new Mac now? There is no telling precisely when Lion will be released.

Randy B. Singer
Co-author of The Macintosh Bible (4th, 5th, and 6th editions)

Macintosh OS X Routine Maintenance
OS X Maintenance And Troubleshooting

Sorry, yes I did mean lion - not tiger!
I'd love to get it tomorrow, but I know as soon as lion is available - I'll want it. What have os update prices been in the past? If it's under 100 I don't mind. But if it's 100+ that's going to taint it slightly as forking out 1,300 for an iMac is a lot (well for me it is).
On a side note, say for instance a year after lion is released, will it fall in price?
QUOTE Thanks
Minimadj

Sorry randy b. Singer... You managed to post before I replied!
QUOTE Thanks
schweb

schweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minimadj View Post
On a side note, say for instance a year after lion is released, will it fall in price?
Nope, at least it's never been that way for any OS update previously.

schweb | community leader
flickr facebook twitter tumblr google+ about.me

Mac-Forums: On Twitter | On Facebook | On Flickr

QUOTE Thanks
Larry H

Larry H is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Mac Mini 2.53 Intel Core 2 Duo 4GB

From TattooedMac's link:
Quote:
We’re taking our best thinking from iPad and bringing it all to the Mac with Mac OS X Lion, available in winter 2011
It's going to be a long wait, I would buy the mac now.

Larry H
QUOTE Thanks
Larry H

Larry H is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Mac Mini 2.53 Intel Core 2 Duo 4GB

I reviewed the preview of Lion. It looks like the controls system is based on swipe and trackpad. On my Mini, I use a mouse and keyboard. I have never been comfortable using the mouse trackpads on any laptop and use a regular mouse even on my laptops.

Will there be any real benefit to Lion if the swipe and trackpad functions are not used? Can Lion be controlled with a regular mouse?

Larry H
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry H View Post
From TattooedMac's link:

It's going to be a long wait, I would buy the mac now.

Larry H
That is from the Aust Store. This is the SS from the US store, but if the Winter prediction is true we should see it in about 3 months time

Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

If you are in need of a computer, it's faintly ridiculous to hold off somewhere between 5-9 MONTHS in order to POSSIBLY save $130 (ps. at current exchange rates, Lion would be priced around 80, add in Apple's usual penalty for not be a Merkin and it's likely to sell for 99).

Mac owners tend to fall into two camps: must upgrade on first day of release, and those who wait two to six months to "get the kinks out" of any new software release. I can't justify denying myself a Mac for half a year or more just to get Lion -- particularly when you KNOW there will be a "bug-fix" release a few weeks later.

Bottom line, as I've said here before: waiting for the "next big thing" which is "just around the corner" is generally* a fool's errand. You're going to have this machine for years -- just buy what you need when you need it and don't worry about it. By the time you're ready to replace the Mac, there will be a MUCH better "next big thing" already out several times over. IOW, *having* a Mac (particularly if you use it to do anything productive or profitable) is being ahead of the game over *waiting* for a Mac. IMO.

* the exception to this rule is if Apple has made it clear (ie, not a rumour, but an actual announcement) that a significant upgrade of a product is coming in the next week or two, as they did with the iPad 2.
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TattooedMac View Post
That is from the Aust Store. This is the SS from the US store, but if the Winter prediction is true we should see it in about 3 months time
Um ... isn't Australia's winter in what we North Americans call the summer months? So we're talking about the same time frame.

But three months is probably QUITE unrealistic nevertheless -- for starters, Apple *never* releases a major new OS without giving the developers a head start, and the WWDC is in mid-June. I think, particularly looking at Apple's history, that there is VERY LITTLE chance of Lion coming out before late August, maybe even early September. That is why they are being cagey about the use of the term "summer" ("winter" in the southern hemisphere).
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

Quote:
Originally Posted by chas_m View Post
Um ... isn't Australia's winter in what we North Americans call the summer months? So we're talking about the same time frame.
Well i did call 3months until winter right. Where in the 3 months after that is anyones guess. I know about  releases, but as i said they say winter and too me winter is in less than 3 months and that is why i bought it up.

Can only hope

QUOTE Thanks
schweb

schweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2

I'm going to guess Lion won't be out until very end of Aug at the earliest if it doesn't slip into a Fall release. Given that they just started beta testing, I can't imagine it coming earlier, but who really knows.

schweb | community leader
flickr facebook twitter tumblr google+ about.me

Mac-Forums: On Twitter | On Facebook | On Flickr

QUOTE Thanks
Randy B. Singer

Randy B. Singer is a name known to allRandy B. Singer is a name known to allRandy B. Singer is a name known to allRandy B. Singer is a name known to allRandy B. Singer is a name known to allRandy B. Singer is a name known to allRandy B. Singer is a name known to all

Quote:
Sorry, yes I did mean lion - not tiger!
I'd love to get it tomorrow, but I know as soon as lion is available - I'll want it.
I always recommend that users wait a few months after a new major upgrade to OS X is released before purchasing it and installing it. That allows other users time to find all the bugs, and Apple time to release an update or two to squash those bugs.

For instance, there was a major bug in both OS X 10.4.0 and OS X 10.5.0 that caused some users to lose data on their Firewire hard drives.

Waiting a few months also gives folks time to write articles detailing what applications need to be updated for the new OS, and it gives developers time to come out with updates to their applications for the new OS. This helps you to avoid being without mission critical applications without an update available.

With Snow Leopard, it was a while after it was released before there were updated drivers for many printers and scanners available. (Despite the fact that many new drivers came with the OS.)

Quote:
Apple products are just about never discounted while they are still current and being sold as new. You might be able to qualify for an educational discount if you are a student, though.

Randy B. Singer
Co-author of The Macintosh Bible (4th, 5th, and 6th editions)

Macintosh OS X Routine Maintenance
OS X Maintenance And Troubleshooting

Well funny enough, when I saw OS X Lion on Apple's website, I also noted the new MacBook Pro. I read about it all and one of the main interests I took was in 'Tunderbolt'.
So I clicked the 'Learn more about thunderbolt' to find out more. When I had this interesting discovery...
Perhaps new iMac hardware?
Apple - Thunderbolt: Next-generation high-speed I/O technology.
Its just that the top picture of the iMac looks a little different to the current outgoing iMac - so thought perhaps Apple are bringing out an all-new iMac.

I've been reading the previews of OS X Lion and I really think the next iMac is going to have a touchscreen - so if its in the pipeline, as I've waited this long, I may as well wait a little longer if new hardware is a few months away. I'm in no dyer need for an iMac. I've already got a windows desktop and windows laptop - would just like an iMac.
So. do you think a new iMac is on the way - and is this it?
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« which e-mail client? | Customize MBP in retail store »