New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

From DMA to PIO

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

cowbrain

cowbrain is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MBP 2.9GHz i7, 16GB DDR, 512GB, , MB black 2.4GHz core two duo, 4GB RAM, 500gb hdd (7200 rpm) 10.6.8

Hello,

Macbook working well on OS X side of things, but all video and audio stuttering on Windows (Boot Camp XP SP3)

I see (in Device Manager) that the Primary IDE has switched from DMA to PIO - which would cause this problem. I have read pages (on other forums) which describe fixes which involve going into the registry and changing values - I'm slightly nervous about this. (Did it once before, years ago on a Windows PC and got it wrong!)

So, two questions, please:

1: Anyone familiar with this problem and know of a quick fix?

2: If I do have to go into the registry, is Boot Camp Windows the same as regular Windows (I'd be printing up and following instructions)

Thanks, CB

MBP 2.9GHz i7, 16GB DDR(Crucial), 512GB SSD (Crucial M550) OSX 10.9.4
Macbook black, 2.4GHz core2duo, 4GB ram, 500GB HDD(7200rpm), OS X 10.6.8
iPhone 4S
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

It is no different.

"Assuming" that you have inserted your OS X disc under Windows and installed the Bootcamp drivers - along with all available updates, the next thing to try is:

1) Right click on My Computer
2) Click on Device Manager.
3) Expand the IDE controllers and right-click on the secondary IDE channel.
4) Click on uninstall.
5) Do the same for the primary IDE channel.
6) Now restart your computer.

(I think that is right, I'm not running an XP machine at home any longer.)

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
cowbrain

Mac Specs: MBP 2.9GHz i7, 16GB DDR, 512GB, , MB black 2.4GHz core two duo, 4GB RAM, 500gb hdd (7200 rpm) 10.6.8

Thanks bobtomay, this worked a treat.

I'd read this on another page, just after posting my question. Only difference in procedure was that I only uninstalled the primary IDE (the only one using PIO) - and not the secondary.

All seems to be working - but have I missed out a vital step by not uninstalling secondary IDE - then primary IDE?

Thanks again for speedy and accurate response. Much obliged. CB

iPhone 4S
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

If everything is showing as DMA, you should be ok.

I just always removed both when I had this issue.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
cowbrain

Many thanks.

Yeah, all showing DMA settings now

As if to celebrate, the sun has come out, too (Sunday afternoon, UK). Maybe that's controlled by Windows, too?

Thanks again, bobtomay. Great stuff!

Cheers, CB

iPhone 4S
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« wmv files | Will I have to reformat my ipod? »