New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Creating Keyboard Shortcuts

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Mason

Mason is on a distinguished road

Hi all.

I prefer to use the keyboard wherever possible and I'd like to know if it's possible to open applications using keyboard shortcuts?

There's plenty of info about workflow type shortcuts or how to change Cmd+Q to Option+Cmd+Q to quit an application but I'd like to be able to set something up to start Safari from the keyboard using, for example Option+cmd+S

Is this possible?

Regards
Mason
QUOTE Thanks
IvanLasston

IvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2

Try Quicksilver.
Blacktree
It is not quite a hotkey launch - but you hit ctrl-space and just start typing. It's more powerful than just a command launcher but I found it is the quickest way to launch apps without a mouse.

You can also use cmd-space to bring up spotlight and just start typing the name.
QUOTE Thanks
Mason

Mason is on a distinguished road

Thanks, I'll give Quicksilver a go although it pains me to have to use a third party program to do something that I consider should be part of the OS.

Regards
Mason
QUOTE Thanks
IvanLasston

IvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2

Application launching has always been a 3rd party type thing - even on windows - at least anything useful. cmd-space to bring up spotlight is built into the OS - it just isn't as fast as Quicksilver.

Check out this link
Lifehacker, tips and downloads for getting things done
Although most people start using quicksilver as an application launcher - it is much more powerful than that.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Illusive HDD hogs... Ibook G4 10.5.8 | Duplicate Files »