New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Need help deciding.

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

ebby

ebby is on a distinguished road

Hi,
I am a 14 year old year 9 student in high school. I am having a very hard time deciding whether I should buy an iMac or a Macbook Pro. I know both are great systems. I want something to at least last me until the end of year 12 and something that will be good with my wifi. I am going to use it for school and want to be able to play one or two games on it with good properties. I like portability but also like the power of an iMac. I primarily use it for documents (word, excel, etc), downloading pdfs, checking emails, youtube, internet, a COD game, flash, basic photo editing programs. I also wish to get an iPad 2 by the years end, so cooperation with it? So if you can contribute please do, and current owners of the systems, pros and cons?
QUOTE Thanks
robduckyworth

robduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC

pretty much the same as eachother: theres not really many cons when compared to eachother, besides one being portable and the other not. the iMac can have a greater internal storage because they use different sized drives.

for gaming an iMac would perform slightly better than bottom end MBPs.

both will be perfectly adequate for what you want to do however. Any of the entry level systems will be able to handle it.

If you find a post helpful, don't forget to use the reputation system (top right of post.)
Join us in the IRC! How? Add me on Steam, Origin or PSN (Vita): robduckyworth
QUOTE Thanks
ebby

Thanks are there any other helpful comments people want to add?
QUOTE Thanks
ebby

Also, out of all the mac computer that are no more than $1500, what is going to last me at least until the end of high school comfortably? And also (I'm new to mac), on average how often are macbook pros and iMacs rereleased?
I will very much appreciate any answers.
QUOTE Thanks
robduckyworth

robduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to all

any of the new iMac's or Macbook Pro's should last you at least a good 3 years. there are users on here still on five to seven year old Macs and they still run great today. Youll have no trouble with any of the new machines.

If you find a post helpful, don't forget to use the reputation system (top right of post.)
QUOTE Thanks
Shikarnov

Shikarnov is a jewel in the roughShikarnov is a jewel in the roughShikarnov is a jewel in the rough

If I had just $1500 to spend, and no real need to transport my system to and fro, I'd get a base model iMac (3.02GHz / 21.5in), bump the RAM up to 8GB, and get Applecare.

The large screen and standard keyboard/mouse will make both gaming and writing papers a lot less tedious.

As for the release schedule, I'd direct you to the Mac Buyer's Guide. The short version is that Macbook Pros were refreshed, like, two weeks ago, and the new iMac is due very soon. Generally they refresh every 7 months.
QUOTE Thanks
ebby

Thankyou both of you. When you
say very soon do you mean the apple meeting due around june?
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebby View Post
I am having a very hard time deciding whether I should buy an iMac or a Macbook Pro.
The VERY first thing you NEED to decide...is whether you need portability or not.

- if you need portability...get the MacBook Pro
- if you don't need portability...get the iMac

...decision made...problem solved!!!

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
Shikarnov

Shikarnov is a jewel in the roughShikarnov is a jewel in the roughShikarnov is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebby View Post
When you
say very soon do you mean the apple meeting due around june?
Nobody knows for sure what Apple's release schedule is. But according to the Buyer's Guide to which I linked, iMacs are updated, on average, every 226 days, and it's been 229 days since the last release. So soon could mean tomorrow, or it could mean next month. Frankly, I'd be surprised if they waited until June though.
QUOTE Thanks
robduckyworth

you could save a big some of money upgrading the RAM yourself, but to be honest, for your uses you dont really even need 8GB. go for better specs on the Macbook Pro, instead of worrying about the RAM.

QUOTE Thanks
ebby

ok thanks.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Questions About iMac Hardware/Customization | Switch »