New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

read-only files

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Flat Eric

Flat Eric will become famous soon enough

I have a strange issue running Win XP via Apple's Bootcamp, hoping for some advice or assistance.
There's 2 games I play on Windows on my imac, doing a reboot into XP via bootcamp. Both games are having problems remembering saved game settings, in COD5 this means I cannot always save my progress as I try to go back into the game later and the saved position data is corrupted. When I examine the folders of both games they have reverted to read-only status again, so I uncheck the box in file properties to remove the read-only status.
If I exit into OSX then later go back into XP the game folders have reverted again back to read-only and it's really doing my head in.
Anyone know what's going on?
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

Do you by chance have NTFS-3G installed in OS X?
QUOTE Thanks
Flat Eric

I have no idea - how can I tell?
Volumes:
Capacity: 209.7 MB (209,715,200 bytes)
Writable: Yes
BSD Name: disk0s1
iMac HD:
Capacity: 674.31 GB (674,309,865,472 bytes)
Available: 470.63 GB (470,628,458,496 bytes)
Writable: Yes
File System: Journaled HFS+
BSD Name: disk0s2
Mount Point: /
BOOTCAMP:
Capacity: 325.55 GB (325,549,293,568 bytes)
Available: 179.83 GB (179,833,163,776 bytes)
Writable: No
File System: NTFS
BSD Name: disk0s3
Mount Point: /Volumes/BOOTCAMP
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

You would have had to install NTFS 3G, therefore, it's unlikely you're using it. It's a free open source utility driver so that you can write to the NTFS Boot Camp partition from OS X.

Try this: Boot to XP. Open a CMD prompt and type in chkdsk c:. Let's see if there is any corruption on the boot camp drive. You won't be able to repair any errors while XP is mounted, but at least that will tell you if there are problems.
QUOTE Thanks
Flat Eric

Looks like there was an error on the drive when I did chkdsk but I think this is a red herring; multiplayer online works fine each time, only single player where it presumably needs to access saved info on game progress. The online multiplayer mode recovers stats from the internet user profile. So I'm back to somehow the game not being able to save position on exit.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Trojan | how to know the operating system on mac.etc.... »