New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Perhaps I misunderstand MobileMe?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Silverado

Silverado is on a distinguished road

I use 2 different email accounts; one personally via my ISP, and one professionally through my company, which is hosted with our domain through a 3rd party. Both are POP mail accounts AFAIK.

I've set up mail and my iP4 and all mail functionality is fine.

I signed up for the free trial of MobileMe and went through the steps to set everything up... I believe it's working...

Should all my messages sent and received from these 2 accounts by syncing between my Mac and iPhone? As I have the accounts set up on both devices, I do get incoming mail in both places; what I was dearly hoping for is to sent a reply or new message in one device, and see it sync to the other for a totally integrated mailbox.

Does MobileMe actually have this ability, or is this only for the @me.com address I set up for the trial?

I'm hoping that I've erred in setting up the service; I'd happily pay the hundred bucks a year for real-time mirroring of my mailboxes on 2 (soon to be 3) devices, but if I must use a new email address for this to work, I'll probably not continue after the trial.
QUOTE Thanks
schweb

schweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverado View Post
Should all my messages sent and received from these 2 accounts by syncing between my Mac and iPhone? As I have the accounts set up on both devices, I do get incoming mail in both places; what I was dearly hoping for is to sent a reply or new message in one device, and see it sync to the other for a totally integrated mailbox.
Tbat's not what MobileMe does. In order to do what you want it to do, you really need an IMAP or Exchange email account. Otherwise, there's not really an easy way to keep POP3 accounts in sync across multiple devices.

For your personal account you could consider switching to a Gmail account which does support IMAP. For work, I would check with them, most hosted email does support IMAP.

Quote:
Does MobileMe actually have this ability, or is this only for the @me.com address I set up for the trial?
The MobileMe email account is an IMAP account so it will sync all your mail activity between machines.

schweb | community leader
flickr facebook twitter tumblr google+ about.me

Mac-Forums: On Twitter | On Facebook | On Flickr

QUOTE Thanks
Silverado

Silverado is on a distinguished road

Thanks schweb, that's what I suspected.

I'll contact our hosting administrator about the IMAP support; I can easily live without a mirrored mailbox for my personal email in any case, though it would be awfully nice.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Will this DEFINITELY work | My macbook will not boot up »