New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Burning questions about 2011 Macbook Pro

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

AppleRecords

AppleRecords is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2011 Macbook Pro 15 2.0GHz quad core i7 2009 21.5 iMac iPhone 4S White 16g (AT&T)

Okay, been a Mac user for a few years now. I'm a graphic designer and video editor, Macbooks are second to none so...I got a second one. Had the 2009 Macbook, just upgraded to the 2011 Macbook Pro. So, the machine is great but there are some things that seem to be a problem for me and some people so I'll list my problems and we'll see if we can get them hashed out.

Okay FaceTime.
- When I goto sign in and set it up it is saying they can't verify my email address. Does my FaceTime password have to be the same as my gmail password that I'm using with it? I don't think so but it keeps saying my connection won't work when I'm surfing the internet perfectly...odd. I don't need FaceTime really but I just wanted to set it up.

Secondly, iTunes home sharing.
- I don't want to pack all of my music up and bring it to the new computer so I just turn on home sharing so I can get the music from my older laptop running on my new one. But when I turn home sharing on, on both computers only the small library from the new computer transfers to the old one with all of the music. There seems to be no way to reverse it, anyone else having this problem?

Third, moving iMovie projects over.
- It's a touchy operation it seems. Anyone have success bringing a entire project over with all of the source clips and have it work on the first try? Is it worth it?

Fourth, Final Cut Express.
- I ordered Final Cut with the MBP. I'm used to iMovie and when I open this program is looks like a warlocks butthole to me. How would you rate the learnability if your already pretty savy with editing and Adobe suite stuff.

Okay all small things, not gripes, maybe I'm just not doing something right or there are some settings that need to be changed around. If you have answers great, suggestions, awesome, or opinions...open to all of it. Thank you.

Loving the new MBP, really wanted a 17 incher but had to work with what I got so I bought the 13 inch. But I purchased the magic trackpad and wireless keyboard so I can throw it up on the flat screen. How can you be anti Apple?
QUOTE Thanks
Oneironaut

Oneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really nice
Mac Specs: 21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB

Facetime worked fine for me so I'm not sure what to suggest except maybe try logging in with your Apple ID, if you have one. If not, it's easy to get and I'm pretty sure it will work.

Never used iTunes home sharing so someone else will have to help with that.

What do you mean about moving iMovie projects over? Do you mean transferring them from one computer to another?

Final Cut is a much more robust and feature-laden editing application that actually isn't too dissimilar to Premiere, Avid and others. There is a steep learning curve, but if you refer to the user guide, you'll get a good idea of how it works. There are plenty of tutorials on YouTube, but you might want to check out the free ones on Lynda.com. It's really an amazing, powerful program. But there is a bit of a learning curve coming from iMovie.
QUOTE Thanks
AppleRecords

AppleRecords is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2011 Macbook Pro 15 2.0GHz quad core i7 2009 21.5 iMac iPhone 4S White 16g (AT&T)

Cool, I must be retarded bc I just did that and it worked. If you want to use a different email on there than the one connected to your iTunes account you need to use your iTunes account email first and add other email addresses later. Should of been a no brainer but I tried to start it with my primary email address bc my iTunes account email address is a old one. Thanks, it worked.

I'm sure I'll figure out a way to solve the phantom home sharing caper tomorrow.

Yeah transfering like a 10 minute video (multiple) all segmented in a iMovie project with sound effects, itunes music, clips from different saved mp4s...its just a lot of stuff to move over and position right so your project will stay intact in the event board and the project layout menu thing. I guess it's not totally nessesary bc I can recreate the effect but it's nice to copy and paste things from past projects to keep continuity for segments and transitions and stuff. New computer makes it better but also throws a monkey wrench in.

Sweet thanks for the info. Been checking out tutorials on youtube, best way really. iMovie is just so easy to use but I don't like the gliches in lip syncing with too many transitions or effects. Watch out for that on publishing, just need to ditch transitions but it sucks. Will have to look on Amazon for a program guide. Thanks good idea, I would take a class but I kind of need to start using it asap.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« natd and ps3trophycard.com ? | Will this DEFINITELY work »