Mac Forums

Mac Forums (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/)
-   Switcher Hangout (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/switcher-hangout/)
-   -   Mac becomes unresponsive (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/switcher-hangout/231476-mac-becomes-unresponsive.html)

bolteer 03-06-2011 08:51 PM

Mac becomes unresponsive

Howdy everybody, I've got a slight issue with my Core2Duo macbook that i purchased this time last year. Every now and then I try and open a program which requires information from the internet, the program becomes unresponsive i.e. Utorrent, and other online games - WoW, Diablo 2 etc. Then some days they open fine. This is really starting to bug me and I was wondering if anybody out there can help me.

Kindest Regards

Nick B

robduckyworth 03-06-2011 08:52 PM

have you tried repairing permissions in disk utility? its under the "first aid" tab. :)

bolteer 03-06-2011 08:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robduckyworth (Post 1197459)
have you tried repairing permissions in disk utility? its under the "first aid" tab. :)

Hi there thanks for your quick response :), I have repaired both the disk and the permissions with no success

robduckyworth 03-06-2011 08:58 PM

okay describe what you mean by unresponsive. what happens, is it just slow to load online, or is it beach balling you?

bolteer 03-06-2011 09:01 PM

The program becomes completely unresponsive, and I have to Force Quit from the dock. Its strange I am not sure why the program dies!

robduckyworth 03-06-2011 09:14 PM

okay, what are the offending apps, and have you tried reinstalling/updating them? :)

bolteer 03-06-2011 09:38 PM

Diablo 2 (freezes when you try to connect to server)
World of Warcraft (freezes upon opening, connecting to server)
Utorrent (freezes upon startup)

I have reinstalled all of these programs, the Diablo 2 and World of warcraft Online downloader also freezes

robduckyworth 03-06-2011 10:12 PM

is your firewall running? have you got a program like little snitch running? are they blocked?

can you browse with safari okay?

bolteer 03-06-2011 10:22 PM

thanks! Sorry but my mac firewall is turned off :) I definitely think it has something to do with my network as well, however sometimes these programs do work? oh, and I haven't got any other programs running/installed. Thanks heaps for the feedback so far :)

bolteer 03-06-2011 10:27 PM

Hi Chase, I mean leave over night and still not responding :) It appears the programs lock up when trying to connect to their servers..

robduckyworth 03-06-2011 10:33 PM

hmm... im not too familiar with more complicated network problems, maybe you can help me out chas_m?

im wondering bolteer, what kind of network are you on, are you in a halls of residence or another kind of shared network? it could be that your ISP has blocked P2P network traffic.

if you cant tell, im guessing now ;)

bolteer 03-06-2011 10:36 PM

Im on a private wireless network, set up for home use - in my home :) its been bugging me for sometime, because like I say sometime these programs do work. What would be causing a constant cycle which changes my settings? its weird!

robduckyworth 03-06-2011 10:53 PM

right okay. i just wanted to clarify: im not calling you a pirate, but these games are legit, right?

(i only ask because you have utorrent, its not a personal judgement :))

in any case, im reckoning its a problem with your network settings or your router. i dont have too much experience with these kinds of thing (networks drive me mad) but hopefully someone will come along.

in the mean time, have a look at some of the blizzard forums.

also, have you got the error log messages we could take a look at? (when you force quit, a dialog comes up)