Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Batteries can not be removed!!!
    I am considering moving from Windows to a Macbook Pro,But I want to know what happens if a Macbook Pro freezes I.E the cursor wont move,it won't switch off and it is just suck on the page.If that happens on a laptop with a removable battery I just take out the battery and there is no power so the laptop shuts down. I then restart it and it is normally OK from that point onwards(until windows decides to freeze again).A Macbook Pro does not have a removable battery! so what do you do? Thanks.

Specs:
    Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
    This pretty much answers your question, however, Macs don't suffer this anywhere near as often as Windows machines.
    More often it will be an application freeze if anything, which you can force quit several ways.

How to Force Shut Down a Macbook | eHow.com

Thanks.I still don't like the idea that I would not be able to physicaly denie the Macbook electricity.Apple seem to do some odd things like glossy screens and no removable batteries.To me this works against their products.I desperately want to get away from windows but struggle with some of the apple issues.I might try an older Macbook Pro so that it has a removable battery.

Specs:
    Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
    The OS and Macs are so stable that this isn't a necessary feature, where as in Windows OS and hardware compatibility, this is essential.
    I have only had to perform hard shutdowns twice in the last 6yrs!

Specs:
    MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
    Quote Originally Posted by kestral View Post
    Thanks.I still don't like the idea that I would not be able to physicaly denie the Macbook electricity.Apple seem to do some odd things like glossy screens and no removable batteries.To me this works against their products.I desperately want to get away from windows but struggle with some of the apple issues.I might try an older Macbook Pro so that it has a removable battery.
    Yes so many odd things that they're growing faster that any other PC manufacturer.
    schweb | community leader
    flickr facebook twitter tumblr google+ about.me

Mac-Forums: On Twitter | On Facebook | On Flickr

Specs:
    2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.11, 8 GB mem, iPhone 6+
    I have owned three different Mac laptops over the years running OS 8 or 9 and every version of OS X that's been released. Don't remember ever having to physically remove the battery because of a freeze. I have had a few freezes that require me to press and hold the power button for several seconds to take care of the problem. That hasn't been what I would call a regular occurrence though.
    Sylvester Roque Former Contributing Editor About This Particular Macintosh

"Got Time to breathe. You got time for music." Denver Pyle as Briscoe Darling

Specs:
    Late 2013 27" iMac, iPad 3, iPhone 6s+, iPhone 6+, 3 iPods, El Capitan
    A Macbook Pro does not have a removable battery! so what do you do? Thanks.
    And to add to the other replies, the batteries which Apple say are none user removable can actually be removed. Perhaps not as easily as before but they can be removed. See this article from ifixit.

Some good posts there.Thanks to all posters.I will let you know when I have bought my MacBook Pro.

Specs:
    Mid-2012 MBP (16GB, 1TB HD), Monoprice 24-inch second monitor, iPhone 5s 32GB, iPad Air 2 64GB
    Quote Originally Posted by kestral View Post
    Apple seem to do some odd things like glossy screens
    Yes, certainly no PC makers offer laptops with glossy screens.

Oh wait, except for all of them.

Specs:
    21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB
    I have a removable battery in my MBP but I've never ever had a crash to bad that I had no choice but to remove it. In fact, I think just cutting off power suddenly is bad for a computer, isn't it?

All you'll need to do is hold down the power button to force a shutdown. Works every time.

On virtually every laptop there's no need to remove the battery to force it to turn off - just hold the power button down for 4 seconds. The same works for my MacBook Pro just as well as my Acer and HP laptop.

If holding the power button down doesn't turn it off, it's usually a hardware issue - regardless of OS.

Mike

Specs:
    17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
    I can echo everyone else's comments. I own an imac. But same thing really. I've had 2 kernel panics in 5 years on my imac. And only they required a hard restart of the machine. The rest of the time it was plain sailing. You shouldn't need to be able to remove the battery to the MBP.

And secondly if an app crashes you can force quit it. The finder can't be quit if it crashes but it can be restart. And that is very very rare to have to do this but that fixes the issue 99.999% of the time.

Specs:
    iMac: 24" Aluminium, 2.8 GHz, 4Gb RAM. iPad2, iPad mini2, iPhone5s
    Just to add my voice to the responders. We have four macs (two imacs, 2 macbooks) and two windows laptops in our house. We are forever having to remove the battery on the windows machines (a Toshiba and an HP) but NEVER on any of the macs. Simples!
    Experience teaches you to recognise a mistake when you make it again.

Quote Originally Posted by Slydude View Post
    I have owned three different Mac laptops over the years running OS 8 or 9 and every version of OS X that's been released. Don't remember ever having to physically remove the battery because of a freeze. I have had a few freezes that require me to press and hold the power button for several seconds to take care of the problem. That hasn't been what I would call a regular occurrence though.

I second this. In the past few years, I've had four Macs, and very few problems -- none of which involved getting so completely locked up that I couldn't shut down by holding the power button.

One time I dropped my Macbook Pro and screwed up the hard drive. The beauty of the Mac + Time Machine was that I went to Staples, bought a new drive, installed it, and was fully restored -- programs and all -- less than two hours after totaling the original drive. That was when my Mac "experiment" ended and I became fully committed to the platform. Had that happened on a PC laptop, I would have been down for a lot longer, and even after getting back online, it would have taken forever to get everything back the way it was.

Good luck!

Specs:
    15" MB Pro, 2.66 i7 ; 11 MBA 1.8GZ i7; 13"MBA 2GZ i7 8 GB mem 512GB SSD, 2 iPad3s, 1 iPad Mini
    They are replaceable but there is no need
    Just force power it down, the same as you would a windows machine except it will only rarely be necessary. The batteries are replaceable in all i products, I just put a new one in my iPod. It is an easy replacement in an iPhone as well.

Thread Information