New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Where are my 'themes' on a mac ?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

monkeyboy2000

monkeyboy2000 is on a distinguished road

One of the things i liked about a pc is the ability to customize the look of the UI.

I prefer a dark theme like that seen on Autodesk products such as this :

When I bought my mac, I was given the impression that they are super user friendly and customizable, so how do i do this on a mac ?

Thanks !
QUOTE Thanks
BrianLachoreVPI

BrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD

You could always try cntrl option cmd 8 ;-) - outside of the couple of built in tweakable options - everything I've seen that's theme related are aftermarket SW packages.
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

There are no built in "Theme's" or skins in OSX. There are 3rd party Apps that will do it though. Sounds like you didn't do your homework before you made your purchase.

QUOTE Thanks
Buzzard2010

Buzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really nice
Mac Specs: iMac 21.5" i3 500gb HDD 4gb RAM OSX 10.9.2 - iPhone 5s 16gb

Here are a couple for you to have a look through
20 Stunning Themes for Mac OS X | Mac.AppStorm

- Simon

If you have been helped, don't forget to use the Reputation system at the bottom of the users profile.
May 2011
Nominated: March 2011 & April 2011
QUOTE Thanks
monkeyboy2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzard2010 View Post
Here are a couple for you to have a look through
20 Stunning Themes for Mac OS X | Mac.AppStorm

- Simon
Thanks. Actually I was just there and was just about to post.

Any idea how to activate the themes ?

I like the " Cold " one.
QUOTE Thanks
monkeyboy2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by baggss View Post
There are no built in "Theme's" or skins in OSX. There are 3rd party Apps that will do it though. Sounds like you didn't do your homework before you made your purchase.
Why are you so rude ?
Its a computer - not your mother that I am talking about.
Yes it was a rush purchase ( Motherboard fried on PC ) , but I actually did try and do my homework. I spent around a month asking questions to people about macs.
I just assumed that something that is so basic as this would be on a high end machine.
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

The first paragraph on that page has links to the Apps you need to download to use the themes. Did you even read it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyboy2000 View Post
I just assumed that something that is so basic as this would be on a high end machine.
It has nothing to do with "high end" machines, it's the OS and it doesn't support it. Period. Third party Apps will do it if you desire. Sorry if you feel I was rude but this a rather simple issue that you should probably have asked about instead of making assumptions.

QUOTE Thanks
welsh_flag

welsh_flag is on a distinguished road

Go to the bottom of the themes list to Conclusion, click on the blue highlighted text and you can download from there.
QUOTE Thanks
schweb

schweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyboy2000 View Post
Why are you so rude ?
Its a computer - not your mother that I am talking about.
Yes it was a rush purchase ( Motherboard fried on PC ) , but I actually did try and do my homework. I spent around a month asking questions to people about macs.
IMHO theme are not a sign of a high-end system, but rather a toy for script kiddies. I'm very glad it's not part of the OS.

For the people that really want them, there are options out there that a simple search can find.

schweb | community leader
flickr facebook twitter tumblr google+ about.me

Mac-Forums: On Twitter | On Facebook | On Flickr

QUOTE Thanks
robduckyworth

robduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC

heres what is customisable:

1. icons (including external media icons & trash can)
2. fonts
3. dock
4.iTunes (uses an .rsrc, can be opened with themepark 3)
5.Menubar (using themepark 4, you cant change the colours of the clock font)
6. sliders (themepark 4)
7. traffic lights (top left, themepark 4)
8. GUI window colour: you can make it black, but the font colour in OSX is hard coded so it cant be changed from black)
9. Login screen message, Logo, picture, background, and so on.
10. Finder backgrounds

thats pretty customisable to me. dont you agree?

there are themes out there. have a look on deviantart.com for some. Also use the link above.

If you find a post helpful, don't forget to use the reputation system (top right of post.)
Join us in the IRC! How? Add me on Steam, Origin or PSN (Vita): robduckyworth
QUOTE Thanks
roflitskyle

roflitskyle has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: MacBook Unibody 13" 150 GB HDD

If you use Magnifique, make sure you are not using Snow Leopard because it will not work. If you are running Snow Leopard there are some themes that will work for you. I would check out MacThemes (MacThemes). There is a theme or two on that site

- Kyle
QUOTE Thanks
robduckyworth

robduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to all

also, shapeshifter wont work with Snow Leopard.

If you find a post helpful, don't forget to use the reputation system (top right of post.)
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2009 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by schweb View Post
IMHO theme are not a sign of a high-end system, but rather a toy for script kiddies. I'm very glad it's not part of the OS.
I wasn't going to be that harsh, but I basically agree with this. Themes are for kids.

That said, monkeyboy2000, you'll find that "pro" apps like Aperture, Photoshop Elements, Final Cut Pro, AutoCAD, Pixelmator and such actually *do* feature the dark grey "theme" you said you liked, so maybe this won't actually be an issue at all -- only it's on a per-app basis rather than a system-wide thing.

As mentioned, it's easy enough to use themes if you like. Doesn't cost much if anything, so if you want 'em, a little bit of clicking on links and you got em!
QUOTE Thanks
iZach

iZach is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 21.5" iMac, 3.06GHz duo, 4GB RAM, 500GB Hard Drive, NVIDIA 9400M| 8GB iPod Touch

Back when I had my PC, the only theme i had was the one that made windows XP look like Mac OS X

How do you like them Apples?
QUOTE Thanks
robduckyworth

Quote:
Originally Posted by chas_m View Post
I wasn't going to be that harsh, but I basically agree with this. Themes are for kids.
Alot of people that use macs are creatives, and a fair few are graphic designers or have an interest in graphic design.

Alot of designers have specific taste, and lets face it, not everyone likes Aqua. I don't think its fair to class people as kids because they like to have control over the way their computer looks.

It's also about being unique. we don't all want to have the same computer as the person next to us, which looks exactly the same? we all have different personalities; we all dress differently; is that immature aswell?

By the way, i'm not trying to start an argument here, i just wanted to voice "the other side"

we are all different, and we all have different preferences. live and let live. and all that other loveliness.

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« WHERE is WHERE? | Good image editor for macs ? »