New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Good image editor for macs ?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

monkeyboy2000

monkeyboy2000 is on a distinguished road

I have Photoshop, but I have to run it on my Windows partition since it is an old version.
Besides GIMP, what are some good FREE or very inexpensive image editors ?
( I'm broke from buying the mac ! )

The main thing I need to do is skew and distort an images perspective.

When I photograph my art, I get a lot of glare, so I have to take the picture at an angle. In Photoshop this is an easy fix using either 'skew' or 'distort' , but I'm not finding that option in something like iPhoto.
QUOTE Thanks
Chef_eam

Chef_eam is a jewel in the roughChef_eam is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: iMac 27" 2.66GHz i5, 1TB HDD, 12GB RAM, OS X 10.7.3, iPod Classic 160GB,iPad 1 64GB Wi-fi, iPhone 4S

You can look at Pixelmator. It is a nice image editor with a lot of the same features as Photoshop. It is not free, but is only $59.99 in the Mac App Store (a lot cheaper than PS).

Pixelmator
QUOTE Thanks
Buzzard2010

Buzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really nice
Mac Specs: iMac 21.5" i3 500gb HDD 4gb RAM OSX 10.9.2 - iPhone 5s 16gb

Have a look at gimp, it's free and has a good fan base GIMP - Downloads

Hope this helps
- Simon

If you have been helped, don't forget to use the Reputation system at the bottom of the users profile.
May 2011
Nominated: March 2011 & April 2011
QUOTE Thanks
schweb

schweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2

+1 for Pixelmator

schweb | community leader
flickr facebook twitter tumblr google+ about.me

Mac-Forums: On Twitter | On Facebook | On Flickr

QUOTE Thanks
robduckyworth

robduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC

im gonna back GIMP up.

If you find a post helpful, don't forget to use the reputation system (top right of post.)
Join us in the IRC! How? Add me on Steam, Origin or PSN (Vita): robduckyworth
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2009 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

If you don't need CYMK, then I'd certainly take Pixelmator over GIMP any day of the week. I'd also suggest trying to find a sale price on Photoshop Elements, which is, seriously, like 75% of regular PS for 1/8th the price.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Amazon has Photoshop Elements 9 on sale for $59.99 (that price reflects a $20 mail in rebate). LINK
QUOTE Thanks
roflitskyle

roflitskyle has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: MacBook Unibody 13" 150 GB HDD

+1 for Gimp if you are looking for a easy freeware image editor. If you want a high end editor, I would suggest Adobe Photoshop Cs5. I am not sure how much it is, but I have Photoshop Cs4, and it is great!

- Kyle
QUOTE Thanks
robduckyworth

robduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to all

if you are a student, Adobe give a very good discount for PS CS5.

If you find a post helpful, don't forget to use the reputation system (top right of post.)
QUOTE Thanks
roflitskyle

roflitskyle has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: MacBook Unibody 13" 150 GB HDD

Quote:
Originally Posted by robduckyworth View Post
if you are a student, Adobe give a very good discount for PS CS5.
I got the student discount to, I don't remember the exact discount, but it was really nice.

- Kyle
QUOTE Thanks
robduckyworth

in the UK, its something like 200 for the "image editing pack". it had Fireworks, photoshop and illustrator i think.

QUOTE Thanks
the8thark

the8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by schweb View Post
+1 for Pixelmator
+2 for Pixelmator.
QUOTE Thanks
monkeyboy2000

I'm trying to learn GIMP, but it is awkward compared to Photoshop.

I'm just used to Photoshop actually :-)

I'll look at Pixelmator, or I may just do the old switcheroo and boot to XP when I edit my stuff.

I know that seems the obvious thing to do, but I just had to ask what other apps were out there that compared to GIMP for mac so I don't have to switch so often.

Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
monkeyboy2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
Amazon has Photoshop Elements 9 on sale for $59.99 (that price reflects a $20 mail in rebate). LINK
I'll look into this too.

Thanks
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Where are my 'themes' on a mac ? | Safari - Search with Google »