New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Which MacBook?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Travis2008

Travis2008 is on a distinguished road

I'm jumping ship from PC to Mac, and I have some questions.

1) I'm looking at the MacBook Pro 13 inch, but I'm not sure if I am going to want/need the lesser expensive one ($1199 2.3Ghz intel core i5), or the more expensive one ($1499 2.7Ghz intel core i7). I plan on watching movies, listening to music and downloading a lot of things (certainly not illegally ). Am I going to notice any performance issues if I get the lesser model, and if so, by how much?

2) Also, I know macs are known for not being susceptible to viruses and spyware, but should I get some programs to protect it anyway?

3) Is the AppleCare worth the $250?

Thank you for your help in advance.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

Welcome to the Mac Forums!

1. Take a look at the latest MacWorld Magazine write ups on the new MacBook Pro machines and draw your own conclusion: LINK

2. Not necessary. However, if you're paranoid (coming from Windows) you can download and install the free ClamxAV.

3. Yes.
QUOTE Thanks
Buzzard2010

Buzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really nice
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 15" 2014, 2.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 250GB SSD, OSX 10.9.5 - iPhone 5s 16gb

As chscag has suggested we can't really tell you which would be better suited to you as we are not you and don't know your daily ins and outs of computer needs!

I have a personal rule though, always get the best you can afford. This way it won't be out of date as quick as the cheaper models, it will be able to run later and more resource hungry apps and games.

HTH
- Simon

If you have been helped, don't forget to use the Reputation system at the top right of their post.
May 2011
Nominated: March 2011 & April 2011
QUOTE Thanks
robduckyworth

robduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC

you wont see any performance issues if you are just watching movies and listening to music. an i5 will suffice for that.

applecare? if it breaks within 3 years will you be annoyed? you certainly will if you dont buy applecare

If you find a post helpful, don't forget to use the reputation system (top right of post.)
Join us in the IRC! How? Add me on Steam, Origin or PSN (Vita): robduckyworth
QUOTE Thanks
Travis2008

I'm getting a Mac, but I'm wondering if the higher end 15 inch MacBook pro (2.2Ghz Quadcore intel i7) is better than the higher end 13 inch MacBook pro (2.7Ghz dualcore intel i7) other than the screen size. I'm going to be downloading a lot of stuff, burning downloaded movies, playing music and watching movies. Is it worth it?
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute

There's no doubt the higher end 15" MBP is a more powerful and capable machine than the 13" model, simply because of the fact that the 15" machine has a separate and discrete GPU. Now, whether or not it's worth spending the extra $$ is up to you. For what you intend to use it for (from your post), the lower end 13" MBP would suffice. And that would save you at least $500.
QUOTE Thanks
kfander

kfander is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook (MacBook5,1) Intel Core 2 Duo @ 2000 MHz 2 GB - DDR3 @ 1067 MHz NVIDIA GeForce 9400M

The extra money for the MacBook Pro is way worth it. I made the mistake of opting for the less expensive MacBook and wish I hadn't. If this were the only Mac that I had for comparison, I'd conclude that PCs were better, since most of the PCs that I have owned since the introduction of the Pentium have been better than my MacBook.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

Read the post again. He's trying to decide between two MBP machines not a MBP and MB.
QUOTE Thanks
Travis2008

Okay. I am pretty sure that I'm going to get the 15" MacBook pro 2.0GHz quad core processor with 4GB of ram and the 7200rpm HDD. What do you think? Good decision?
QUOTE Thanks
roflitskyle

roflitskyle has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: MacBook Unibody 13" 150 GB HDD

That is a really nice machine, I would go for it. I think it is a great decision. Can I ask what you are going to use it for?

- Kyle
QUOTE Thanks
6string

6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)

http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/swi...2-7ghz-i7.html
Which MacBook?

One thread would have done the trick
QUOTE Thanks
Travis2008

Downloading and burning movies, listening to music and occasional gaming.
QUOTE Thanks
Travis2008

Haha whoops. Sorry. :/
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Note: Merged multiple threads

There is no need to start a new thread for your next question with the same ongoing topic.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Mail Notice | Writing to NTFS »