New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

My macbook pro doesn't print in colour!

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Mariam Khawaja

Mariam Khawaja is on a distinguished road

I got a printer a few months ago, its an HP Officejet Pro 8500A Plus I downloaded the driver and it prints out things using wi-fi. The problem is that it won't print in colour. I've looked at many forums where people have had similar problems but none of the solutions work for me. I know the problem is from my mac because my home (Dell) computer can print out things in colour (when connected by a USB cable) and other laptops in the house (Dell again) prints out things in colour even when the driver hasn't been downloaded.

I need some help!
QUOTE Thanks
Oneironaut

Oneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really nice
Mac Specs: 21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB

Maybe try connecting the printer directly to the Macbook. Some printer/computer combinations don't allow some features over wifi. I don't see how that would prevent color printing but not grayscale, but it's worth a try just to eliminate that problem as a possibility.
QUOTE Thanks
osxx

osxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3

First you should have been able to plug the usb in for initial setup and the driver should
be there also make sure you have the right driver the easiest way would have been the USB connection Mac's are good about plug and play then setup your wireless. Also on some make sure draft setting was not chosen as default this will be black and white only
and some will even have check boxes for no background or pictures.
QUOTE Thanks
Mariam Khawaja

Sorry I got it wrong. My home computer isn't connected by USB. It's wireless as well. Plus, I can't figure out how to plug my laptop into my printer.
QUOTE Thanks
osxx

osxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3

With one of these and read your instructions for your particular printer because they are all a little different. For only $0.78 each when QTY 50+ purchased - 6ft USB 2.0 A Male to B Male 28/24AWG Cable - Beige | USB 2.0 Cables - Regular Type
QUOTE Thanks
MightyGem

MightyGem is a jewel in the roughMightyGem is a jewel in the roughMightyGem is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. White MacBook, 10.8.5. iPhone 3GS.

When your print dialogue box is open, click:

to see this:

to see if there is a setting that's set to Black and White.
QUOTE Thanks
Mariam Khawaja

There is no setting for black & white on it. There is one which says colour matching and I've tried printing it on that setting but it still prints out in black & white. I think I'll just have to connect it with a cable. Thanks though
QUOTE Thanks
osxx

Have you tried deleting the printer from your Mac then plug the printer in with a USB cable let it detect and select it as default printer then go through your setup and try wireless again. The instructions for my HP C6380 said setup using USB then disconnect
and try wireless and the drivers were already there no need to use the disc. Of course it
would help if you stated the model and what OS you had and is it up to date I have gotten
3 updates for my printer this year alone which comes in software update for the OS.
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mariam Khawaja View Post
There is no setting for black & white on it. There is one which says colour matching and I've tried printing it on that setting but it still prints out in black & white. I think I'll just have to connect it with a cable. Thanks though
FWIW with my printer it's under "Printer features > Color Mode: color" in that drop-down list.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Switch | wmv files »