New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Apple Mail

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

chomper

chomper is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Air (2010), 1.86GHz C2D, 4GB, 128GB SSD | Power Mac G4 DA 466MHz, 1GB, OS X 10.4.11, OS 9

Hello,

I've been using a web-based email for years and now I'd like to start using Apple Mail to access it. Is there anything special I - as a switcher from Windows - should be aware of?

Namely:

1) I have about 700MB worth of old, read emails stored in my webmail inbox, I don't want Apple Mail to download these to my Mac.

2) I don't want Apple Mail to remove my newly received emails from my webmail inbox, I just want the program to download them and display them but not to delete them from the original location - my webmail inbox.
QUOTE Thanks
schweb

schweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2

Does your email support IMAP?

schweb | community leader
flickr facebook twitter tumblr google+ about.me

Mac-Forums: On Twitter | On Facebook | On Flickr

QUOTE Thanks
chomper

chomper is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Air (2010), 1.86GHz C2D, 4GB, 128GB SSD | Power Mac G4 DA 466MHz, 1GB, OS X 10.4.11, OS 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by schweb View Post
Does your email support IMAP?
No, it supports only POP3.
QUOTE Thanks
V6Pony

V6Pony is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: MBP 15" I7 first one and loving it.

I think if you look in mail preferences accounts settings. You can see how to set up the mail client to do what you want. It is a good program or it works good for me at any rate.
QUOTE Thanks
Oneironaut

Oneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really nice
Mac Specs: 21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB

I think that when you first run Mail it will ask if you want to import any existing messages. If it doesn't, it's not difficult to just Select All and delete them, then empty the Mail trash (not the Dock trash).

Each account you create gives you the option to automatically delete messages from the server, never delete them or only delete them after a specified amount of time.
QUOTE Thanks
Randy B. Singer

Randy B. Singer is a name known to allRandy B. Singer is a name known to allRandy B. Singer is a name known to allRandy B. Singer is a name known to allRandy B. Singer is a name known to allRandy B. Singer is a name known to allRandy B. Singer is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by chomper View Post
I've been using a web-based email for years and now I'd like to start using Apple Mail to access it.
There are some nice, free, tutorials on how to use Mail here:

http://movies.apple.com/media/us/fin...r640-10cie.mov

Apple Mail Tutorial (Mac Mail)

Hostmonster Tutorials :: Using Apple Mail

This page is invaluable if you are looking for add-ons to extend Mail's capabilities:
http://www.hawkwings.net/plugins.htm

Randy B. Singer
Co-author of The Macintosh Bible (4th, 5th, and 6th editions)

Macintosh OS X Routine Maintenance
OS X Maintenance And Troubleshooting

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Switching - 3 months on... | Ready to switch... I think! »