New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Bought a used mini, but their password/login is still there...erase?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

JSchultz

How can I get a clean install and make my own password/username? Kiind of frustrating.

Thanks!

Jim
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

Pop in the os x install disks and during the installation screen, select erase and install.
It should wipe the old system and put a fresh one on and then you can pick a new password and user name.
QUOTE Thanks
JSchultz

Which one, panther or Tiger? I tried both discs, but the last guy had all his stuff password protected, so I can't even do that.

Any way to get around that completely?
QUOTE Thanks
rman

rman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 2 x 3.0GHz Quad-Core, 6GB OS X 10.6.8 | 15in MacBook Pro 2.2GHz OS X 10.6.8 | 64GB iPad 2 WiFi

You will need to boot from the installation media. Install the CD, reboot the system. Press and hold the C key while the system boots.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, It's about learning to dance in the rain!
QUOTE Thanks
JSchultz

Whew, Glad it's that simple! Let me try that!

So just pop in the Tiger Disc, and hold C?
QUOTE Thanks
JSchultz

Ok, i tried as advised, and nothing happened...what am I doing wrong?
QUOTE Thanks
TonyJ

Put the CD in.
Reboot the Mini
When you hear the Ding, hold down C.

Should then boot off the CD instead of the Hard Disk.
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

Sorry I forgot to say 'boot off the disks'...

Yeah make sure you hold down a while and it should start the setup process.
QUOTE Thanks
JSchultz

Grr..Still nothing. Did as said. It goes straight into the login screen still!

I verified my keyboard is working, because when i click on the username, and press the C key, it works...

Is it possible that even booting from CD is protected? Is there anything else I can try?
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.1, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS IPad1

Make sure you are not just tapping the C key real fast. Right after the post chime HOLD C DOWN and keep it down till it starts to boot off the CD. If it does not boot still, is the Tiger disc a Copy or a real Tiger disc? Tiger comes on a DVD. If it's some copy it might not boot. The Panther disc if it's the one that came with the MINI is a DVD also.
QUOTE Thanks
JSchultz

Both the Tiger disc, and the Mini disc are DVD's. I keep on holding C, but it goes straight to logon screen...why is it ignoring me holding down the key?
QUOTE Thanks
JSchultz

Well, I was luckily able to get a hold of the previous owner who gave me the password.

He says he bets that the reason holding C won't work, is because the BT keyboard/mouse don't work or get initialized until the OS loads, which by then is too late.

Anywho, off I go to put a fresh copy of Tiger on!
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.1, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS IPad1

Oh, it's a BT keyboard. That it I bet. At a friends once when we ran into that problem his BT keyboard would not work. Had to plug in a usb one. Glad you got the password.
QUOTE Thanks
PowerBookG4

PowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.

yeah you can not send start up keys like that with a bluetooth keyboard because it does not load... It will be a good idea to keep a usb keyboard in your closet or where ever to that incase you need to erase pram start up from a disc or start up into target disk mode with out restarting... not to mention if your batteries die in the keyboard.

My Website
Blog
I love my hosting company!
I was on the M-F honor roll for Febuary:2006
QUOTE Thanks
Ex_PC_Puke

Glad you got things working

- But - a valuable lesson

Computer debugging 101 ..... ALWAYS use the most basic setup when trying to boot a problematic PC ...... wired mouse / keybd ... standard monitor rather than a LCD - etc - etc

Why - these standard type devices are ALWAYS supported by the basic BIOS code during early boot sequences :p
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Loving my Mac | What do you think about .Mac? »