New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Imac > Netflix > TV

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

MontanaMac

MontanaMac will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: iMac 27" OS X 10.6.4 / 3.2 GHz / Intel Core i3 / 4 GB 13333 MHz DDR3

I was looking for info on playing Netflix from my Imac to TV. Would I have to use a USB to HDM cable to view it? Does anyone else here use Netflix?

Also.....How the heck do you change Title font size from the standard "Wimp" size they have on here to something readable?
QUOTE Thanks
MYmacROX

MYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2008 15" MBP ML, 2012 21.5" iMac ML

I use Netflix and in the past (before it became available on the Wii) I've done what you're trying to do (but with my MBP).

Start with this sticky thread: Connecting your Mac to your TV
USB will not provide audio/video out to a monitor or TV.

16GB iPhone 5, 64GB Wi-Fi only iPad 1st Gen.

Reminder: Please include your Mac's specs. This will make it much easier for the other members to assist you.
QUOTE Thanks
iWhat

iWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: Macbook, iMac G5, iPad, iPhone 4, iPod (MANY)!

Have you ever considered just getting a BluRay Player with Netflix on it, or even AppleTV? It's a bit less painless.
QUOTE Thanks
MontanaMac

Thanks MyMacRox
I didn't realize they have a blue ray player with NetFlix built into it. I just bought a blue ray 6 months ago, but I don't think it has Netflix. I have a Sony Bravia Internet Link on my big TV in the living room, but I was looking for a way to play Netflix on a different TV in a separate room where my Mac is.
Darn, guess it's not going to happen with the Mac. Thanks for the info guys.
QUOTE Thanks
MontanaMac

Stopped in my Apple dealer today here in Kalispell and asked how to export internet media from my iMac to another Tv. They said I could do it with a mini display to HDMI cord, but they didn't have one. I was wondering what that little square port was on the back of my iMac 27"
QUOTE Thanks
MYmacROX

MYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to all

Go to monoprice.com for that cable. Great prices.

Reminder: Please include your Mac's specs. This will make it much easier for the other members to assist you.
QUOTE Thanks
MontanaMac

Hey, thanks for the tip. I have found some really good prices on other cables at Amazon and Ebay also. One question.....when you plug in a mini display cable, does it shut off the iMac 27" screen? Or to put it more simply, can I shut off the iMac display while viewing on a TV?
QUOTE Thanks
MYmacROX

It doesn't automatically "shut it off".
Try this: Turn off your TV, turn on your iMac, plug in the cable, turn on the TV and put it to whatever input channel is appropriate, on your iMac go into System Preferences>Displays and from there you can decide which screen is primary, which is left/right, if you want the TV to "mirror" what you see on your iMac or not, screen resolution, etc. etc.

I don't own an iMac, so I'm not sure if there's an "off" switch just for the screen. But if you wanted to do something like that I'm sure there's a way. If no "off" switch, then you can change your energy saving settings to turn off the screen only after idle for 1 minute or whatever.

QUOTE Thanks
MontanaMac

Thanks MyMacRox
I haven't even bought a cable yet and probably won't until I decide which way to go.
QUOTE Thanks
MYmacROX

Yeah, I gathered as much. Just pointing you in the right direction so you're ready to hit the ground running.

If you're in the market for a video game console, I think the big 3 (Xbox 360, PS3, and Wii) all have Netflix on them. Sort of an "app". Not 100% sure about the Xbox 360, but I can't imagine why they wouldn't if the other 2 do. That's just another route to consider in addition to an internet capable Blu Ray player or new TV.

QUOTE Thanks
MontanaMac

Thanks for helping. I appreciate it.
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

I would recommend you take a closer look at AppleTV.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by chas_m View Post
I would recommend you take a closer look at AppleTV.
Or the Roku.

Want to stream your own content, the ATV is an inexpensive way to do it and gives you Netflix and youtube access along with the iTunes store.

More interested in web streaming, the Roku gives you Netflix, Hulu, Amazon's Unbox (and if you're already a Prime member there, you've got instant access to 5,000 free movies/TV shows), Pandora and a current lineup of about 100 other streaming sites. Access to youR Facebook or Picasa photos... It has a way to stream your iTunes content, but it's convoluted and ugly - requiring you to upload your content to the web and then stream.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
MontanaMac

Will do guys. I'm going to do some customer review reading on the ATV.
QUOTE Thanks
jeffk

jeffk is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 27" iMac, 17" MacBook Pro, 13" MacBook, iPhone 3G, iPhone 4, AppleTV2 (x2), iPad1

Here's a review for you... I love my Apple TV so much I now own two of them. One in the living room, and one hooked to the TV in the bedroom. We primarily use it's Netflix features, which always work great for us. When the rec room gets done, I see a third Apple TV there as well.

The capabilities, compatibility with my Macs, and the price point make the Apple TV the perfect choice for me.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Have made the switch just wanted to say hey! | Mac becomes unresponsive »