New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Safari Question

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

V6Pony

V6Pony has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Mac Specs: MBP 15" I7 first one and loving it.

When I open Safari I almost always open the the same one or two web sites. Is there a way to open Safari and have it open the sites you want automatically?

Have had my mac since Dec last year. Well worth the change.
QUOTE Thanks
robduckyworth

robduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC

make a bookmark folder named startup or whatever. put your bookmarked sites in this folder.

go to safari prefs... general... new windows open with... then pick the folder.

If you find a post helpful, don't forget to use the reputation system (top right of post.)
Join us in the IRC! How? Add me on Steam, Origin or PSN (Vita): robduckyworth
QUOTE Thanks
toMACsh

toMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to all
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core 2 Duo

Of course, you can make one of those sites your home page.
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

Top Sites, anyone?
QUOTE Thanks
V6Pony

V6Pony has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Mac Specs: MBP 15" I7 first one and loving it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robduckyworth View Post
make a bookmark folder named startup or whatever. put your bookmarked sites in this folder.

go to safari prefs... general... new windows open with... then pick the folder.
Thanks robduckyworth that works great. Just what I was looking for.

If I could ask a follow up question. When I open the web site the font is too small for me so I use the A to resize it. Is there a way to set it to open at a size that I like?

Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
6string

6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by V6Pony View Post
Thanks robduckyworth that works great. Just what I was looking for.

If I could ask a follow up question. When I open the web site the font is too small for me so I use the A to resize it. Is there a way to set it to open at a size that I like?

Thanks
Go to Safari >Preferences > Advanced > Universal Access > never use fonts smaller than .....
QUOTE Thanks
robduckyworth

robduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC

there you go, sorted glad i could help.

If you find a post helpful, don't forget to use the reputation system (top right of post.)
Join us in the IRC! How? Add me on Steam, Origin or PSN (Vita): robduckyworth
QUOTE Thanks
toMACsh

toMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by chas_m View Post
Top Sites, anyone?
Never! Nor would I recommend that resource hog to anyone. I have it completely disabled. Just my personal preference...
QUOTE Thanks
talleyJudy

talleyJudy is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Dec.'10 White MacBook, 8GB Ram, OSX 10.9.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by toMACsh View Post
Never! Nor would I recommend that resource hog to anyone. I have it completely disabled. Just my personal preference...
I never us my "top sites" either.

How do I go about disabling that feature?

"All that equipment and no one to drive."
QUOTE Thanks
toMACsh

Quote:
Originally Posted by talleyJudy View Post
How do I go about disabling that feature?
I'll get back to you. I have the procedure saved on my computer.
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

The easy way would be to simply set Safari to open new windows and tabs with something other than top sites. Safari > Preferences > General is where you want to go.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

Glims for Safari

Couldnt live without it

Cheers

Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
MoTM ☆☆☆
QUOTE Thanks
talleyJudy

talleyJudy is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Dec.'10 White MacBook, 8GB Ram, OSX 10.9.5

Ok, thanks guys.

The following is what I did last night after reading this thread.
I went into Safari preferences, went through each category and unchecked anything having to do with "Top Sites". Hope that that 'disabled' it in the background too, because as of right now I can see no evidence of it at all when I open and use Safari.

"All that equipment and no one to drive."
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

Personally, I depend on it (though I will say that yes, Apple could stand to optimise the feature).

I monitor a number of different websites and love seeing when one of them needs my attention by a little star (content changed) in the corner when I first fire up Safari. Periodic cleaning of the cache (which I should haven't to do, Apple) makes it work fast and slick.
QUOTE Thanks
toMACsh

Quote:
Originally Posted by vansmith View Post
The easy way would be to simply set Safari to open new windows and tabs with something other than top sites. Safari > Preferences > General is where you want to go.
Quote:
Originally Posted by talleyJudy View Post
Ok, thanks guys.

The following is what I did last night after reading this thread.
I went into Safari preferences, went through each category and unchecked anything having to do with "Top Sites". Hope that that 'disabled' it in the background too, because as of right now I can see no evidence of it at all when I open and use Safari.
There's more to it than that. For Leopard:

To completely disable Top Sites, go to Safari > Preferences > General

New windows open with: Top Sites
Change it to something else. Obviously, you can do the same for New Tabs.

(You'll also see Top Sites in the Show All Bookmarks window. Drag that up, don't stop when it first stops moving. It will be reduced to a thin bar.)

Now delete the Image Cache. Choose Safari > Reset Safari... and select Remove All Webpage Preview Images. Click Reset. Now go to YourUserName/Library/Caches/com.apple.Safari and select the Webpage Previews folder. Press Cmd-I and click Locked. Now it won't accumulate a jpeg and png of every web page you visit. I saved over 500MB of disk space!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Can I face time with imac | changing keyboard shortcuts »